A 23 year old getting his physics degree?

In summary: Hey guys,In summary, 23 year-old male is considering getting a degree in physics, but feels that he is too old. He is looking into doing his initial course work through MGC.
Terrk
Hey guys, Totally new to the forum, but I have been studying physics since the age of 16. I graduated at 16 from high school and applied to several colleges, I was accepted to a few awesome colleges, but because of my financial situation at the time, was unable to go to college. I since then have entered the air force in hopes to get my education paid for. But now I'm 23 and finally not deploying every year.

I recently got a new job located in middle GA( Not exactly the hot bed for an aspiring physicist). Now that I will be in GA for the next few years, I was figuring I would dip into my GI bill and attempt to get a degree in physics.

Once finished I would like to go on to get my PHD, but I cannot find a college that I can attend that has any sort of physics program in the local area. There were some online colleges, but that is something I do not want to get into. I have some college credit in Computer Science, but it's really not my thing. The more lectures I attend the more I want to pursue a degree in physics.

I just feel like it's too late to get a degree in physics! Does anyone know of a decent physics program located in middle GA?

Any help or information on a school or program would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
By "middle Georgia" do you mean near Macon? Mercer University offers BS and BA in physics, and has an engineering school if you decide you want to go in that direction.

In ten years you'll look back on this post and realize how ridiculous it sounds. 23 isn't too later for anything - except maybe playing in little league.

Choppy said:
In ten years you'll look back on this post and realize how ridiculous it sounds. 23 isn't too later for anything - except maybe playing in little league.

Yep.

I'm 33 (I think :confused:) and just finished my associates in Physics transferring to a university to finish my B.S. and I'd really like to get at least a masters.

I'm too old to pursue a PHd. :rofl:

Terrk said:
I just feel like it's too late to get a degree in physics

You're only 23, kid.

"A 94-year-old great-great-grandmother, Phyllis Turner, who left school at the age of 12 becomes the world's oldest recipient of a master's degree from University of Adelaide in Australia."

You've still got 71 years to beat her record...

I would rather spend a few extra years in school following my passion, then live an entire lifetime knowing that I could have done what I loved and didn't

jtbell said:
By "middle Georgia" do you mean near Macon? Mercer University offers BS and BA in physics, and has an engineering school if you decide you want to go in that direction.

I looked into it, but the tuition is extremely high, and my GI bill would only cover one semister! I'm applying for scholarships, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up

erok81 said:
Yep.

I'm 33 (I think :confused:) and just finished my associates in Physics transferring to a university to finish my B.S. and I'd really like to get at least a masters.

I'm too old to pursue a PHd. :rofl:

Well I guess I feel old, in comparison to other people my age. I'm 23 and have a 3 month old son and have been married for 2 years! I thought graduating at 16 would be an awesome start! But all the people my age are going out and partying every weekend, while I stay home with the wife and watch Physics letures on youtube!

You're never too old!

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 25 and contemplating starting a degree in applied mathematics. And age is the very last thing I worry about.

Yay real men are made at the army compared to what kind of men are roaming out on the streets nowadays.

Hi! I recently graduated from MGC with an A.S. degree. Have you considered doing your intial course work through MGC? Yes they aren't a full four year, but you can get a lot of math and science courses done. All of which are accepted at Georgia Tech! and I believe Mercer as well.

Don't be surprised if you get a few big scholarships from Mercer, I have a few friends that are starting this fall and got great scholarships.

It's interesting how people seem to think along the lines of "If I reach age _ my brain magically stops working!"

There should be a Sticky thread titled "Are you too old to get a _ degree in _?". Of course it would be a closed thread containing a single post: "No!".

1. What is the typical timeline for obtaining a physics degree?

The timeline for obtaining a physics degree can vary, but it typically takes around 4 years for a full-time student to complete their undergraduate degree. This could be longer if the student takes on a double major or minor, or shorter if they have AP or transfer credits.

2. What skills are necessary for a 23-year-old to succeed in a physics degree program?

Some important skills for success in a physics degree program include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, proficiency in mathematics, and the ability to think creatively and solve complex problems. Time management and organization skills are also crucial, as well as a strong work ethic and determination to learn.

3. What are the potential career options for someone with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up a wide range of career options, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, data analysis and modeling, teaching, and more. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.

4. How can a 23-year-old make the most out of their physics degree program?

To make the most out of a physics degree program, a 23-year-old can take advantage of opportunities such as research projects, internships, and networking events. They can also seek out mentorship from professors or professionals in their field of interest, and actively engage in class discussions and hands-on learning experiences.

5. Is it possible for a 23-year-old to get a physics degree if they did not major in physics in their undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible for a 23-year-old to obtain a physics degree even if they did not major in physics during their undergraduate studies. Many universities offer post-baccalaureate programs or bridge programs that allow students to complete the necessary coursework for a physics degree. Additionally, some graduate programs may also consider students from different undergraduate backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics and science.