A 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of...

• Thread starter LionLieOn
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000 N, while moving in a circular orbit around the earth.
c) Find the Period of the orbit

Homework Equations

So found the period using (Please see the attachment to review my work.) but I also found it by using (V=D/T)
V= 2(Pi)r/T

I was wondering if there's any difference?

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment

Attachments

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000 N, while moving in a circular orbit around the earth.
c) Find the Period of the orbit

Homework Equations

So found the period using (Please see the attachment to review my work.) but I also found it by using (V=D/T)
V= 2(Pi)r/T

I was wondering if there's any difference?

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment
Your result is correct, and after getting V from the centripetal force, you can calculate T from V= 2(Pi)r/T.

Your result is correct, and after getting V from the centripetal force, you can calculate T from V= 2(Pi)r/T.
So either 1 is fine?

ehild
Homework Helper
So either 1 is fine?
Yes, either one. And there is an even simpler method to calculate the period.
You have two equations, one for Fc in terms of ω, ##Fc=mrω^2## and one for Fg ##Fg=G\frac{mM}{r^2}##, : with Fc=Fg=3000 and m=500.
Isolate r from one of them and substitute the expression for r into the other equation. No need to calculate the numerical value of r. You get the simple formula ##ω^2=\frac{6^3}{GM}##

Yes, either one. And there is an even simpler method to calculate the period.
You have two equations, one for Fc in terms of ω, ##Fc=mrω^2## and one for Fg ##Fg=G\frac{mM}{r^2}##, : with Fc=Fg=3000 and m=500.
Isolate r from one of them and substitute the expression for r into the other equation. No need to calculate the numerical value of r. You get the simple formula ##ω^2=\frac{6^3}{GM}##

Ahh! Ok. Thank you so much for your help :)