1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A balloon is rising at 19 m/s when

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A balloon is rising at 19 m/s when its passenger throws a ball straight up at 21 m/s. How much later does the passenger catch the ball?

2. Relevant equations
    Don't know relevant equations. except v(t)=vot-0.5(9.8)t^2 but I don't think that works.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted this question 4 different ways and times. The answer isn't 4.0816 or 8.1632.

Please help, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    v0t? and why is g and 9.8 in the equation?

are you familiar with Galilean relativity?
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    Fixed it sorry, no... I'm not familiar with Galilean relativity.
  5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    velocity=initial velocity + acceleration * time
    Galilean invariance or Galilean relativity is a principle of relativity which states that the fundamental laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames. Galileo Galilei first described this principle in 1632 in his Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems using the example of a ship traveling at constant speed, without rocking, on a smooth sea; any observer doing experiments below the deck would not be able to tell whether the ship was moving or stationary. Today one can make the same observations while travelling in an aeroplane with constant velocity. The fact that the earth on which we stand orbits around the sun at approximately 30 km/s offers a somewhat more dramatic example.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?