A better quant - theoretical particle or condensed matter physicist?

In summary, a statistical physicist is better suited for quant work in finance and economics based off of their knowledge in probability and stochastic calculus. A theoretical particle physicist may have more experience in the physical world, but may not be as skilled in applying quant methods to problems in that field.
Nusc
Who makes the better quant, a theoretical particle physicist or a theoretical condensed matter physicist and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
A statistician will make a better quant anyday I'd guess.

Nusc said:
Who makes the better quant, a theoretical particle physicist or a theoretical condensed matter physicist and why?
I think it depends upon the person and personal experience. Some folks have a knack for quatitative analysis, and some have more exposure/experience depending on academic and professional work.

I think that you are talking about quantitative analysis in finance/economics, so I have read a lot and I think that statistical mechanics and complex systems are very useful.

Maybe I am wrong and you are talking about other kind of quantitative analysis.

Sorry the thread has bounced around a bit here. I've just moved it back to A&CG. Nusc, as a future suggestion to avoid things like this, please avoid slang and jargon when introducing a topic. This thread got bounced around today because it was unclear what you were asking about until someone else familiar with the slang helped spell out the terms "quantitative analysis." I'm posting this comment publicly instead of in PM, because it's worthwhile for all of our members to be aware of the confusion caused by using jargon, especially if your target audience is broad enough not to necessarily share that same set of jargon with you.

pivoxa15 said:
A statistician will make a better quant anyday I'd guess.
Precious.

Statistical Physicist who know probability and manipulation of large database. Also knowledge of PDE is essential in the field.

Can someone explain to me what qualities a theoretical particle physicist has that makes them good quants as opposed to a statistical physicist?

Nusc said:
Can someone explain to me what qualities a theoretical particle physicist has that makes them good quants as opposed to a statistical physicist?

Could it be that it is harder to publish in TPP so the people on average in it are 'smarter' and so would also make better quants but apart from that I can't see any other reason.

Nusc said:
If one actually study the work in stochastic calculus. One can see the formalism is really originate from quantom physics (i.e the use of anhiliator operater and etc). Also financial market does somewhat follow the uncertainty principle which is the basis of modern physics.
The only thing for financial market is that it doesn't have a set of axiom like modern maths and physics. i.e. most of the work are based on non-arbitrage assumption which is not true in real market. If i am a recruiter I think statistical physicist (PhD of course) is a better choise any other background because quant has a lot more to do than just do the maths.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a theoretical particle physicist and a condensed matter physicist?

A theoretical particle physicist studies the fundamental particles and interactions that make up the universe, while a condensed matter physicist focuses on the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What skills and knowledge are needed to become a successful quant in theoretical particle or condensed matter physics?

To become a successful quant in theoretical particle or condensed matter physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Additionally, knowledge in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and computer programming is essential.

3. What are some current research topics in theoretical particle and condensed matter physics?

Some current research topics in theoretical particle physics include the search for new particles and understanding the fundamental forces of nature. In condensed matter physics, research focuses on developing new materials with unique properties and studying the behavior of complex systems.

4. How does theoretical particle and condensed matter physics contribute to society?

Theoretical particle and condensed matter physics have numerous practical applications in technology, medicine, and energy. They also help us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe.

5. What are some challenges that theoretical particle and condensed matter physicists face in their work?

One of the main challenges is the complexity and abstract nature of the subject matter, which requires advanced mathematical skills and a deep understanding of theoretical concepts. Additionally, obtaining funding for research and keeping up with the rapid pace of technological advancements can also be challenging.