1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bit about differential equations

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    For first order linear differential equations when is it alright to use the
    dy/y-b/a = -adt form and when you must use the integration factor technique? In general i was able to obtain a solution using both methods.

Also, how do i draw a direction field which contains both t and y variables without solving and graphing the differential equation? i can only obtain the direction field at y = 0, it becomes too complicated if t is not 0, does anyone have any tips for drawing direction fields where y,t are variables for y'?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You use whatever method is easiest. There always exist an integrating factor but, except for linear equations, it may be very difficult to find. As for "dy/y- b/a= -adt", I don't know what you mean. It is impossible to have a differential equation of that form. If any term of a differential equation has the differentials, dy and dt, every term must.

If you are given dy/dt= f(t,y) then drawing the direction field at (t,y) is just a matter of evaluating f(t,y). Why should that be any easier at y= 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook