A bit of clarification on the domain of a composite function

In summary, The conversation discusses the difference between two functions, f(x) and g(x), and whether they are essentially the same or not. While they coincide on the multiplicative part of the real numbers, they have a gap at x=0 which makes them different on the entire real number line. The conversation also explores different ways to define the domain of these functions and how it affects their equality. The use of a graphing calculator is mentioned as a tool for simplifying expressions and determining possible domains.
lawsonfurther
Recently when I reviewed something about the composite function for my calculus exam, I remembered I had been thinking a question for quite a long time (maybe I was going into a dead end) since I was in high school.

I was thinking whether f(x)=1/(1/x) and g(x)=x are the same function or not.
It seems like f(x) is essentially g(x) but according to some kind of definition:

" The composition of two functions f and g is the function h = f ◦ g defined by h(x) = f(g(x)), for all x in the domain of g such that g(x) is in the domain of f. "

Then if I take p(x)=q(x)=1/x (just to avoid confusion), then the composite function is f(x)=p(q(x)), for all x in the domain of q such that q(x) is in the domain of p(x). While in this case, q(x) or the range of q(x), namely (-∞,0)∪(0,∞), is always in the domain of p(x), and all x in the domain of q is also (-∞,0)∪(0,∞), then should the domain of f(x) be (-∞,0)∪(0,∞)? If so, f(x) and g(x) have different domains (the domain of g(x) is R obviously). Does it mean f(x) and g(x) are different functions?
(Of course I could have used just p(x)=1/x and said f(x)=p(p(x)), but it's just for avoiding some confusion.
Hope you will get that idea.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are right, ##f## and ##g## are different functions, simply because ##f(0)## isn't defined, whereas ##g(0)## is.
They both coincide on ##\mathbb{R}-\{0\}##, and in case we would only consider functions on the multiplicative part of the reals, that is ##\mathbb{R}^*=\mathbb{R}-\{0\}## they are indeed equal. But this is a bit artificial in this situation. On the entire real number line, we have two straights through the origin, but ##f(x)## has a gap at ##x=0##. It is called a removable singularity, because we can insert just one point and get ##g(x)##.

To fully define a function you have to define its domain and codomain. If you say the domain of g is the whole set of real numbers then f and g will be different. But that is not the only choice. You can define both f and g only for positive real x for example, and make them identical.

Okay. Thanks a lot. That really helps.

But why can I still plot the point at origin intersecting with f(x) in Desmos (a graphing calculator)?

It might simplify the expression before determining its possible domain.

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is denoted as f(g(x)) and is read as "f of g of x".

2. How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the individual domains of each function and then determine the values that will make both functions defined. These values will form the domain of the composite function.

3. Can the domain of a composite function be larger than the domain of its individual functions?

Yes, the domain of a composite function can be larger than the domain of its individual functions. This can happen when the individual functions have overlapping domains, allowing for more values to be included in the composite function's domain.

4. What happens if the domain of the inner function is restricted?

If the domain of the inner function is restricted, it will also restrict the domain of the composite function. This is because the values of the inner function must be included in the domain of the composite function. Therefore, the restricted domain of the inner function will also be the restricted domain of the composite function.

5. Can the domain of a composite function be undefined?

Yes, the domain of a composite function can be undefined if the individual functions have non-overlapping domains. This means that there are no values that can make both functions defined, resulting in an undefined composite function.