A block and a disk connected by a rope

In summary: Lo, I take it, is the string length.Since it is rolling contact, what is the relationship between theta and x1?That is correct, the relationship between theta and x1 is that x1 increases as theta decreases.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1592241170219.png

Basically, there is a gravitational field g and a friction force acting on the cylinder, which does not slip in the plane.
The question is, the acceleration of m'.
I solve this question basically by this:

" m*g*dh*sina + m'*g*dh = m*v1*dv1 + m'*v2*dv2 + I*w1*dw1 " {1}
w*r = v1' + v2'

So
1592241336010.png

The problem is, in {1} i suppose Δ U = - Δ T, until here okay, but i needed to say that:
Δ U = -(m*g*dh*sina + m'*g*dh)

I am trying to see why this is right.

Why not -(m*g*dh*sina) + (m'*g*dh) or +(m*g*dh*sina) - (m'*g*dh)
?

Maybe doing by the other ways, i would eliminate by absurds, or the first way already encompasses the case where one go up and another go down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

What do you do with the kinetic energy of the rotation of the cylinder ?

Also: what do your symbols (other than the ones in the picture) represent

BvU said:
Hi,

What do you do with the kinetic energy of the rotation of the cylinder ?

Also: what do your symbols (other than the ones in the picture) represent
Well, dh is the distance traveled by the block hanging
v one is the velocity of the sphere
v two is the velocity of the block
I is the moment of inertia passing through the center of the sphere
w is the angular velocity

And using the fact that w1*r need to be equal to -v1, just substituting in the equation

LCSphysicist said:
m*g*dh*sina + m'*g*dh
If m' descends dh, how far up the slope as m move?
LCSphysicist said:
w*r = v1' + v2'
Same question, and check those signs.

haruspex said:
If m' descends dh, how far up the slope as m move?

Same question, and check those signs.
Actually the second notation that you quote is a vector notation XD are the constraint that i found.

Lo = x2 + x1 - Theta*r

" If m' descends dh, how far up the slope as m move?"
I thought it far up dh too, but, it fall by R theta later, since it is routing. That is, as result:

-dh + dtheta*r (i adopt positive down the slope.)

Exact as it previous Lo = x2 + x1 - Theta*r
dLo = 0 = dh + x - dtheta*r
x = dtheta*r - dh

The problem is yet the signal in the potential equation :C

LCSphysicist said:
Actually the second notation that you quote is a vector notation XD are the constraint that i found.
Lo = x2 + x1 - Theta*r
I assume x1 and x2 are movements by m (i.e. the mass centre of the cylinder) and m' respectively.
That cannot make sense as a vector equation since the constraint is imposed by the string, and the string changes direction between the two. Clearly these are just distances.
LCSphysicist said:
i adopt positive down the slope
And down positive for the block too? Ok, that explains x1+x2.
It looks like you are taking clockwise as the positive direction for theta, right?
Lo, I take it, is the string length.
(It would save a lot of back and forth if you were to define all your variables in the first place.)

Since it is rolling contact, what is the relationship between theta and x1?

1. What is the purpose of connecting a block and a disk with a rope?

The purpose of connecting a block and a disk with a rope is to create a simple machine known as a pulley. This allows for the transfer of force and motion between the two objects, making it easier to lift or move heavy loads.

2. How does the rope affect the movement of the block and disk?

The rope acts as a medium for transferring force and motion between the block and the disk. It allows the block to move up and down or side to side, depending on the direction of the applied force.

3. What is the relationship between the size of the block and disk and the effectiveness of the pulley?

The size of the block and disk does not affect the effectiveness of the pulley. However, the weight and friction of the objects may impact the overall efficiency of the pulley system.

4. Can a pulley with a block and disk be used to lift objects heavier than the combined weight of the two objects?

Yes, a pulley can be used to lift objects that are heavier than the combined weight of the block and disk. This is possible because the pulley system allows for the distribution of weight and force, making it easier to lift heavier objects.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the mechanical advantage of the pulley?

The angle of the rope affects the mechanical advantage of the pulley. The smaller the angle, the greater the mechanical advantage, meaning it becomes easier to lift heavy objects. However, as the angle increases, the mechanical advantage decreases, making it more difficult to lift heavy objects.