1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block and disk on double inclined plane

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://courses.edx.org/asset-v1:MITx+8.MechCx_2+2T2015+type@asset+block/rolling_quiz_3.svg

A block of mass mb and a disk of mass md and radius r are placed on a symmetric triangular slope connected with a massless string over a massless pulley as shown above. The string is connected to a center axle of the disk so that the disk is free to rotate. The moment of inertia of the disk about its axle is I=1/2*m_d*r^2. The coefficient of static friction between the slope and the block/disk is 0.05 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slope and the block/disk is 0.15. The angle θ is 30∘.

Reminder: sin(30∘)=cos(60∘)=12 and cos(30∘)=sin(60∘)=3√2

Find the maximum ratio m_b/m_d such that the disk still rolls without slipping up the hill.

2. Relevant equations
    Just to be clear I'm using:
    t = torque and
    T = tension

t_net = I*alpha
    F_net = m*a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since its the maximum ratio m_b/m_d, the static friction must be at its max: mu_s*m*g*cos(theta) so

t_net = r*mu_s*m_d*g*cos(theta) = I*alpha = 1/2*m_d*r^2*a/r = 1/2*m_d*r*a

This simplifies to:

2*mu_s*g*cos(theta) = a

Then for the disk the addition of N+F_g = m_d*g*sin(theta) and:

F_net = T - m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s - m_d*g*sin(theta) = m_d*a
    T = m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s + m_d*g*sin(theta) + m_d*a

and for the block (I'm not sure if I've messed up the signs here, I guessed that the positive axis should point towards the acceleration):

F_net = m_b*g*sin(theta) - T - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k = m_b*a
    T = m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k - m_b*a

m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s + m_d*g*sin(theta) + m_d*a = m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k - m_b*a

then I plugged in 2*mu_s*g*cos(theta) = a and simplified:

m_d(mu_s + tan(theta) + 2*mu_s) = m_b(tan(theta) - mu_k - 2*mu_s)

and finally:

m_b/m_d = (mu_s + tan(theta) + 2*mu_s)/(tan(theta) - mu_k - 2*mu_s) = 2.22193

But I just realized I forgot a mu_s in my original solution so is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Overall, your work looks correct and I think your final answer is correct. I noticed a couple of trivial typos:
    Also, I don't follow your statement:
    But I don't think you used this.

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    Yes it was correct, thank you.

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is physically impossible for the kinetic friction coefficient to exceed the static friction coefficient. Did you quote them correctly?

6. Aug 23, 2015 #5
    Yes, I copied and pasted it... thats strange

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted