Block and disk on double inclined plane

In summary: I will fix it.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block and a disk on a slope connected by a string over a pulley. The objective is to find the maximum ratio of the block's mass to the disk's mass where the disk can still roll without slipping up the hill. The solution involves calculating torques and net forces for both the disk and the block, and simplifying to an equation with the maximum ratio as the variable. Ultimately, the answer is determined to be 2.22193.
naianator

Homework Statement

https://courses.edx.org/asset-v1:MITx+8.MechCx_2+2T2015+type@asset+block/rolling_quiz_3.svg

A block of mass mb and a disk of mass md and radius r are placed on a symmetric triangular slope connected with a massless string over a massless pulley as shown above. The string is connected to a center axle of the disk so that the disk is free to rotate. The moment of inertia of the disk about its axle is I=1/2*m_d*r^2. The coefficient of static friction between the slope and the block/disk is 0.05 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slope and the block/disk is 0.15. The angle θ is 30∘.

Reminder: sin(30∘)=cos(60∘)=12 and cos(30∘)=sin(60∘)=3√2

Find the maximum ratio m_b/m_d such that the disk still rolls without slipping up the hill.

Homework Equations

Just to be clear I'm using:
t = torque and
T = tension

t_net = I*alpha
F_net = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Since its the maximum ratio m_b/m_d, the static friction must be at its max: mu_s*m*g*cos(theta) so

t_net = r*mu_s*m_d*g*cos(theta) = I*alpha = 1/2*m_d*r^2*a/r = 1/2*m_d*r*a

This simplifies to:

2*mu_s*g*cos(theta) = a

Then for the disk the addition of N+F_g = m_d*g*sin(theta) and:

F_net = T - m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s - m_d*g*sin(theta) = m_d*a
T = m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s + m_d*g*sin(theta) + m_d*a

and for the block (I'm not sure if I've messed up the signs here, I guessed that the positive axis should point towards the acceleration):

F_net = m_b*g*sin(theta) - T - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k = m_b*a
T = m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k - m_b*a

m_d*g*cos(theta)*mu_s + m_d*g*sin(theta) + m_d*a = m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_b*g*cos(theta)*mu_k - m_b*a

then I plugged in 2*mu_s*g*cos(theta) = a and simplified:

m_d(mu_s + tan(theta) + 2*mu_s) = m_b(tan(theta) - mu_k - 2*mu_s)

and finally:

m_b/m_d = (mu_s + tan(theta) + 2*mu_s)/(tan(theta) - mu_k - 2*mu_s) = 2.22193

But I just realized I forgot a mu_s in my original solution so is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Overall, your work looks correct and I think your final answer is correct. I noticed a couple of trivial typos:
Reminder: sin(30∘)=cos(60∘)=12 and cos(30∘)=sin(60∘)=3√2
Also, I don't follow your statement:
Then for the disk the addition of N+F_g = m_d*g*sin(theta)
But I don't think you used this.

Likes naianator
TSny said:
Overall, your work looks correct and I think your final answer is correct. I noticed a couple of trivial typos:

Also, I don't follow your statement: But I don't think you used this.
Yes it was correct, thank you.

It is physically impossible for the kinetic friction coefficient to exceed the static friction coefficient. Did you quote them correctly?

haruspex said:
It is physically impossible for the kinetic friction coefficient to exceed the static friction coefficient. Did you quote them correctly?
Yes, I copied and pasted it... that's strange

1. What is a block and disk on a double inclined plane?

A block and disk on a double inclined plane is a common scientific experiment that involves two different objects, a block and a disk, placed on a double inclined plane. The double inclined plane is a ramp with two different angles of incline, creating two separate surfaces for the objects to roll or slide on.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the effects of gravity, friction, and other forces on the motion of the objects on the double inclined plane. It can also be used to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and other variables related to the objects' motion.

3. How does the angle of the double inclined plane affect the objects' motion?

The angle of the double inclined plane affects the objects' motion by changing the forces acting on them. A steeper angle will increase the force of gravity, causing the objects to accelerate faster. It will also increase the amount of friction, which can slow down the objects' motion.

4. What are some factors that can affect the outcome of this experiment?

Some factors that can affect the outcome of this experiment include the surface of the double inclined plane, the weight and shape of the objects, and the presence or absence of external forces such as air resistance. These factors can impact the amount of friction and the objects' ability to maintain their motion on the double inclined plane.

5. How is this experiment relevant to real-world applications?

This experiment is relevant to real-world applications as it helps us understand the principles of motion and forces that govern the movement of objects. These principles are essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and even in everyday activities like driving a car or riding a bike. By studying the behavior of objects on a double inclined plane, we can better understand and predict the motion of objects in the real world.