1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A block dropped on a spring, distance compressed unknown.

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    A block of mass m = 1.6 kg is dropped from height h = 61 cm (height above the spring, not total height) onto a spring of spring constant k = 1820 N/m (Fig. 8-38). Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

2. Relevant equations

K=-U, since all energy is conserved, work would equal zero.

3. The attempt at a solution

basically kinetic energy is zero, since its starts from zero and ends with zero.

so i this means that the potential energy must equate.

mgh (potential energy from block at H) = (kx^2)/2(potential energy from spring)

so basically the height from the spring is disclosed, but the spring compression isnt.

I tried this first

mg(x+h)=1/2kx^2

1.6kg * 9.8 m/s^2(x+.61cm)=910n/m *x^2

but it gives me an awkward quadratic equation, where the number under the square root would be negative.

I also tried to find to find the kinetic energy right before it touches the spring, and then apply it to the conservation of energy, where 1/2mvf^2=1/2kx^2 but that ddidnt work either, any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Pls elaborate. What didn't work? Be careful with units (i.e. cm vs m).

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    well basically i found the kinetic energy right as it hits the spring, by using the equation
    K=U.

which would be 1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2=-mgh

the initial velocity would be zero, so that cancels, and leaves me with

1/2mvf^2=-mgh

so i use the kinetic energy produced by the distance from the spring and plug it into the
    conservation of elastic energy equation

-1/2mvi^2(kinetic energy produce by the drop)=1/2kx^2(potential elastic energy)

but this equation didnt produce the correct answer either, and i actually dont know the answer since its an online hw assessment.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Looks good so far. What is your expression for x and why do you think the answer you got is wrong? What answer did you get by the way?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    Why would it give you a negative number? Did you put the equation to the form of ax^2+bx+c=0 before you start? -4ac is a positive number because a is negative and c is positive.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook