A block on a wedge which itself sliding

In summary, Sammy is trying to solve a problem that was introduced in a previous chapter that uses Newton's laws and conservation of momentum and energy.
center o bass

Homework Statement

A small block of mass m is sliding along the inclined slope of a wedge of mass M.
The block slides without friction on the wedge and the wedge slides without friction on the floor. The slope on the wedge has an inclination [tex]\alpha[/tex] with the floor.

Homework Equations

Newtons etc... gravity, normal force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I reason as follows: Gravity pulls the upper box down along the wedge with a force [tex]mg \sin \alpha[/tex]
but it also has a component normal to the wegde being [tex]mg \cos \alpha[/tex].
Now this has to equal the normal force from the wedge on the box, so [tex]N =mg cos \alpha[/tex], but this is in an action-reaction par with the weight of the box acting on the wedge so the wedge feels a force in the negative direction along the plane of the floor of
[tex] mg \sin \alpha \cos \alpha[/tex] indicating that it would get an acelleration of [tex]a_M = \frac{mg}{M} \sin \alpha \cos \alpha[/tex] while the little box would get an acceleration of [tex]a_m = g\cos\alpha[/tex].

This is what I would naivly do, but after some time i realize that the box on top is in an
accelerated frame so I can't blindly apply Newtons laws here and therefore the reasoning fails. How would I then go about analyzing this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try looking at it from the center of momentum frame? If the block and wedge begin from rest, then the center of mass should stay put in the x direction, and the momenta of the block and wedge should be equal and opposite (summing to zero).

Then perhaps you can finesse their relative motions with conservation of energy to come up with something.

That's a good idea and I will certainly try it. The only thing is that this problem was introduced in a book in an earlier chapter before encountering any conservation of anything. The only thing that has been introduced is Newtons laws, constrained motion etc. so I suspect there is a way to do this just using Newtons laws in a straight forward way...

But then again, they do break down in an accelerated frame...

In their textbook: Elements of Newtonian Mechanics, 3rd Ed., J. M. Knudsen and P. G. Hjorth show 2 solutions to this problem.

In one solution, they use conservation laws: for both momentum and energy.

Their other solution uses Newton's equations of motion. They do this using a non-inertial reference frame fixed to the wedge, and use a fictitious force to compensate for using a non-inertial reference frame.

You can find this textbook on Google books. The solution begins on page 209.

Likes Travis Yeager
Sammy, that page isn't available on Google Books. It looks like it might stop around page 74 unfortunately. Any other leads on where I might be able to find it?

1. What is a block on a wedge?

A block on a wedge is a common physics problem that involves a block of mass placed on top of a wedge-shaped surface. The wedge is then either stationary or sliding, and the block may also be stationary or sliding on top of the wedge.

2. What is the purpose of studying a block on a wedge?

Studying a block on a wedge can help us understand the forces and motion involved in objects placed on inclined surfaces. This can be useful in various real-life scenarios, such as understanding the stability of objects on ramps or hills.

3. How do you calculate the forces on a block on a wedge?

To calculate the forces on a block on a wedge, you need to consider the weight of the block, the normal force from the wedge, and the frictional force between the two surfaces. You also need to take into account the angle of the wedge and the coefficient of friction between the surfaces.

4. What is the difference between a stationary and sliding block on a wedge?

A stationary block on a wedge means that both the block and the wedge are not moving. A sliding block on a wedge means that the block is moving either up or down the wedge's surface. This can result in different forces acting on the block and wedge.

5. How does the angle of the wedge affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the wedge affects the motion of the block by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on it. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the block down the wedge also increases, making it more likely to slide down the wedge's surface.