A book about basic water machines/properties/flow ?

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Water
In summary, the author is looking for a book that teaches basic water properties in an easy to understand way with pictures and practical demonstrations. They want to learn the basics about electric circuits, chemistry, physics, and hydroponic gardening, but they are not sure if the book they have found is good. They are near an agricultural school, but they would like a book that is focused on hydroponic gardening specifically.
christian0710
A book about basic water machines/properties/flow ?

Hi I'm interested in how different very basic water concepts/properties work such as a waterpump, pressure, hydroponic systems for plants etc. ( i need some intuition) and I'm therefore looking for a book that teaches basic properties of fluid, pressure in a easy to understand (not any heavy equations and fluid mechanics for ingeneers) and way with pictures perhaps practical demonstrations.

I'm interested in exploring some of the properties of water, so i can use it in biology to biold small basic systems such as a water pump. I've found one book so far that might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure if it has good pictures and explanations . https://www.amazon.com/dp/0784412545/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have your heart set on learning the basics, or would you like a book that addresses hydroponic systems specifically?

Actually I think I'd like both, I just know I learn best if i can mix theory with practical applications/experiments or at least drawings/diagrams.

I've learned the basic high school stuff about electric circuts, chemistry, physics, but I have no practical intuition. I'd like to know the basics of how to make a battery, how to to apply the saltbridge , and i'd like to understand water pressure and propperties and nutritional needs for plants through building a hydrophobic system. I'd also like to build a waterpump. I want to do some of these projects and i need some books that can help me and with a really solid explanation/theory.

Last edited:
Where I live there are many shops specializing in hydroponic gardening. If there are such shops near you, it's worth giving them a call.

Are you near an agricultural school? Many agricultural extensions offer classes - also worth checking out, as they would be a good source of information without a profit motive.

Unfortunately Hydroponic gardening is not that hot in Denmark yet so there are very few places that sell their system. As edited in my previous post (#3) i'd really like to get some experience and play around with it myself. I'd love to have a sound DIY book, especially one mixed with a good amount of scientific explanations.

1. What are some examples of basic water machines?

Some examples of basic water machines include pumps, turbines, water wheels, and water filters.

2. How do water properties affect the design of water machines?

The properties of water, such as density, viscosity, and surface tension, can impact the efficiency and functionality of water machines. For example, the density of water can affect the amount of power generated by a water wheel, while the surface tension of water can impact the flow rate through a filter.

3. What is the principle behind the flow of water in pipes and channels?

The flow of water in pipes and channels is governed by the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically Bernoulli's principle and the continuity equation. These principles describe how pressure, velocity, and cross-sectional area affect the flow of water in a closed system.

4. How does the flow of water impact the efficiency of water machines?

The flow of water can greatly impact the efficiency of water machines. For example, a higher flow rate can increase the power generated by a turbine, while a lower flow rate can improve the filtration efficiency of a water filter. It is important to consider the optimal flow rate for each type of water machine to ensure maximum efficiency.

5. What are some common challenges faced when designing water machines?

Some common challenges when designing water machines include balancing the different properties of water, such as pressure and flow rate, to achieve optimal performance, addressing any potential environmental impacts, and ensuring the safety and reliability of the machine. Additionally, the design process must take into account the specific purpose and limitations of the water machine to meet the desired goals.