Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A book for Intuitive understanding of Calculus

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone. Actually my father is willing to learn calculus. He is good in number system and trigonometry and other basic mathematics. He doesn't know about Calculus and Functions. So I want you to suggest some book, which is really good for a beginner in Calculus and I don't need problems in that book because my father is not going to write exams. He just wants to learn it. Is there any book which deals completely with Calculus intuitively?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

For starters check out wikipedias calculus overview. There may be online books or tutorials listed in the article too.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    I tried it. It has many books. I just need one book. Which one is the best?

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4

Doc Al

The book I often recommend is the classic Calculus Made Easy. (A bit old-fashioned, perhaps, but excellent nonetheless.)

But there are many books to choose from these days.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5
    Who is the author of that book?

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Check the link. Silvanus P. Thompson.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #7
    I saw that book. As I told before it's for my father. Note that he is not going to write any exam on Calculus. So basically I don't need examples and problems. I need some kind of book which deals with Calculus intuitively. Are you sure it would deal with Calculus intuitively?

Thanks in advance.

9. Feb 6, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

10. Feb 7, 2012 #9
    Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" definitely approaches things from an intuitive point of view. It's an excellent book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook