Understanding Kinematics in Calculus for High School Students

In summary, a high-school student is learning calculus and struggling to understand the phrase "in the second second" in their textbook. They ask for clarification and receive helpful explanations about integrating acceleration and velocity over time to find distance. The student also realizes that using "second second" as a time interval can be confusing and decides to use a different example in the future.
solarmidnightrose
hi, I'm a high-school student that is just beginning to learn calculus.
in calculus we are learning how to apply integration and diffrentiaiton methods regarding kinematics.

there is this certain phrase i do not really understand in our textbook: e.g."in the second second"
how am i meant to write "in the second second" when I'm integrating? It would be nice if you included an example.

Oh, and Please remember I am a high-school student that doesn't understand complex terminology yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean “meters per second” and “meters per second per second” but in another language translated to English?

In the first case of meters per second that is speed or velocity

In the second case of meters per second per second that is acceleration.

Integrating acceleration over time gets you the velocity and integrating velocity over time gets you distance.

solarmidnightrose said:
there is this certain phrase i do not really understand in our textbook: e.g."in the second second"
how am i meant to write "in the second second" when I'm integrating? It would be nice if you included an example.

Could it mean this?

"in the first second" means [itex]t=0{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=1{\rm\ s} [/itex]. So, the displacement during the first second is [itex]\int_0^1 v dt[/itex]
"in the second second" means [itex]t=1{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=2{\rm\ s} [/itex]. The displacement during the second second is [itex]\int_1^2 v dt[/itex]
"in the third second" means [itex]t=2{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=3{\rm\ s} [/itex], etc.

Likes berkeman
solarmidnightrose said:
in the second second"

robphy said:
Could it mean this?

"in the first second" means t=0 to t=1 <snip>
I'm pretty sure that's what was intended. Writing "second second" is a little confusing, in that the first word is an ordinal (e.g., first, second,, third, etc.) while the next word is a time interval.

robphy said:
Could it mean this?

"in the first second" means [itex]t=0{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=1{\rm\ s} [/itex]. So, the displacement during the first second is [itex]\int_0^1 v dt[/itex]
"in the second second" means [itex]t=1{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=2{\rm\ s} [/itex]. The displacement during the second second is [itex]\int_1^2 v dt[/itex]
"in the third second" means [itex]t=2{\rm\ s}[/itex] to [itex]t=3{\rm\ s} [/itex], etc.
Thank You Soooooo Much 'robphy'! This makes soo much sense now :)

Likes berkeman
jedishrfu said:
Did you mean “meters per second” and “meters per second per second” but in another language translated to English?

In the first case of meters per second that is speed or velocity

In the second case of meters per second per second that is acceleration.

Integrating acceleration over time gets you the velocity and integrating velocity over time gets you distance.

Thanks 'jedishrfu' :) Sorry if my description didn't make sense, but what you've said has also proved a useful reminder for myself.

Mark44 said:
I'm pretty sure that's what was intended. Writing "second second" is a little confusing, in that the first word is an ordinal (e.g., first, second,, third, etc.) while the next word is a time interval.

Yeah, you're right 'Mark44'. That was exactly what I meant.
I guess I did choose a confusing example to explain my confusion.

1. What is kinematics in calculus?

Kinematics in calculus is the study of motion, including the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It uses mathematical equations and graphs to describe the movement of objects.

2. How is kinematics related to calculus?

Kinematics is closely related to calculus because it uses calculus principles, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and describe the motion of objects. Calculus helps to determine the instantaneous rate of change in position, velocity, and acceleration, which are key concepts in kinematics.

3. How can calculus be applied to solve kinematics problems?

Calculus can be applied to solve kinematics problems by using the kinematic equations, which are derived from basic calculus principles. These equations can be used to find the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object at a specific time or to predict its future motion.

4. What are some common misconceptions about kinematics and calculus?

One common misconception is that kinematics and calculus are only applicable to objects moving in a straight line. In reality, these concepts can also be used to analyze motion in two or three dimensions. Another misconception is that calculus is only used to find the position of an object, when in fact it can also be used to determine its velocity and acceleration.

5. How can I improve my understanding of kinematics in calculus?

To improve your understanding of kinematics in calculus, it is important to have a strong grasp on the basic principles of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals. Practice solving kinematics problems and make connections between the equations and real-life scenarios. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources can also aid in understanding the concepts better.