1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Math A book on arithmetic that doesn't treat you like a baby

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    The state of arithmetic today is disgusting. The textbooks on it are absolutely repelling, the authors treat it like a subject that will be of concern to only babies. They don't show any love, they treat the subject like a dirty rug. It's been two years since I majored in mathematics, since then, I have been programming very wildly and would like to relearn arithmetic in a way that Leonhard Euler and Euclid would personally enjoy.

Arithmetic is actually very rigorous, there exist theorems on even the most basic of the components and it's a very beautiful topic, if you're being taught by the right author.

I seek a complete book on arithmetic, how old it may be, that deals with it in an elegant manner and covers the following topics;

And if possible...

What I am describing is a treatise on arithmetic and I do not want a book on Calculus because it covers some of the topics above in it's first few chapters. I want a book that deals with arithmetic only. And no, I don't want a number theory book. I have been suggested this many times before and the books are not at all elementary, they discuss many advanced topics and all I am asking for is the very basics, the very very basics.

The book also must:

1. Show why things are the way they are (why are they true).
    2. Be succinct as possible.
    3. Contain no annoying images and distractions (which are everpresent in 99% of today's textbooks on arithmetic)
    4. Be lucid.
    5. Contain zero fluff.

That's it! I hope such a book even exists.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So on the high school level, you should look at Gelfand's Algebra book and Euler's algebra book.
    If you are looking for a more advanced treatise, then you will have to start from the Peano axioms and work up from there. A good book that does this is Bloch's real numbers and real analysis. It doesn't quite cover everything you mentioned though.

4. Aug 10, 2015 #3
    Doe
    Do Gelfand/Euler cover up all the topics I mentioned, including equivalent fractions?

5. Aug 10, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have no idea what you mean with equivalent fractions since it lead to exponentiation. Do you just mean ##a/b = c/d## iff ##ad = bc##. Then yes, they cover this.

6. Aug 10, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Euler is available for free online too, so check it out

7. Aug 10, 2015 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 10, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my opinion, if you're interested in doing arithmetic in a very rigorous setting, then you have no other choice but to start from the Peano axioms. Gelfand and Euler both do not start from the Peano axioms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted