1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob/Stats A book on highschool-level probability and statistics

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1
    What is a fantastic book on probability&statistics that covers all the probability&statistics a student in highschool ever need? It should cover the basics, and also the intermediate topics. Specifically, it must cover frequency distributions and whatnot.

Please lend me your suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can the prerequisite knowledge include calculus or not?

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    No. Like I said, I am just a highschool student. It should require a knowledge of only some elementary algebra and other things that a highschool student is expected to know. Also, I must add that the book must start out with the basics and later proceed onto the advanced topics. By the basics, I am talking about median/median/mode, cumulative frequency distributions, standard deviations, empirical probability formula, and other basic stuff like:

P(E) = number of favorable outcomes/number of possible outcomes

5. Aug 14, 2015 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you understand summations?

6. Aug 14, 2015 #5
    Somewhat, only in a very elementary manner.

7. Aug 14, 2015 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't recommend looking at statistical books at this point in time for you. I would focus more on your high school algebra/calculus courses.

The most elementary book I know of personally is: https://www.amazon.com/Statistics-Third-Edition-David-Freedman/dp/0393970833
    You aren't going to make it through much of that book without a good handle on summations. Calculus is also suggested for some of the chapters.

There may not be any (decent) texts at your level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted