A box slides down with initial V, force needed to stop it?

In summary: For this problem, 10 m/s^2 should be used.In summary, to stop a block at the bottom of a slope, an external force of 5.25 N is needed.
Hilmy atha

Homework Statement

20170329_204509_zpssbxpjqdm.jpg

Vo = 5m/s
W to the left = 6N
Ffriction = 2N
F to the left = W - Friction = 4 N
m = 1kg
g = 10 m/s^2

Ramp length = 10m
sin a = 3/5
cos a = 4/5

Homework Equations

F = ma
Vt ^2 = Vo^2 + 2as
Vt = Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

Outside force (1) to cancel acceleration from weight
= 4N
So now a = 0

Now we calculate how much decceleration is need to stop the initial 5m/s
Vt ^2 = Vo ^2 + 2as
0 = 25 + 20a
a = 1,25 decceleratiom from outside force (2)
F2 = m.a = 1.25 N
So F1(to cancel initail acceleration) + F2(to cancel initial velocity) = 4 + 1.25 = 5.25N

Is there something wrong? The answer is not in the options :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait why didn't the image shows up? It can't show images from google drive?

Hilmy atha said:
Wait why didn't the image shows up? It can't show images from google drive?
If the image isn't public access the software can't get to it. It's better to UPLOAD images to our server.

Hi. Welcome to Physics Forums.
Hilmy atha said:
W to the left = 4 N
Where did this come from? Is it part of the problem statement?

Okay i updated it

Can you provide a translation of the problem statement? It's not obvious how long the force is allowed to operate on the block. Is it applied during the entire motion?

Hilmy atha said:
F to the left = W - Friction = 4 N
Hilmy atha said:
F2 = m.a = 1.25 N
So you need 4 N (in addition to the 2 N friction force) to counter the down-the-slope weight component.
And you need 1.25 N to produce an up-the-slope acceleration.
4 + 1.25 = 5.25 N.
I can't find anything wrong with that. But it is early in the morning for me. :)
Possibly the problem creator had a sign error and came up with 4 - 1.25 = 2.75 (which rounds to 2.8)

In response go @gneill comment (which just came through), I assumed the force was applied for the entire 10 m of the slope.

gneill said:
Can you provide a translation of the problem statement? It's not obvious how long the force is allowed to operate on the block. Is it applied during the entire motion?

It is not mentioned at all. Everything i typed is basically the translation in math equations

I typed the words into Google translate and the relevant part of the translation was:
"so that the right thing stopping at the bottom end of the track"

Per my previous post, I think your answer is correct.

Hilmy atha said:
It is not mentioned at all. Everything i typed is basically the translation in math equations
In future please make sure that the problem has been described in English in the problem statement section. Translations of relevant material in images is fine. Note that this is a forum rule.

Your answer may end up closer to 5.0 N if you use a more accurate value for g.

What is the initial velocity of the box?

The initial velocity of the box is a measure of its speed and direction at the start of its motion.

What is the force needed to stop the box?

The force needed to stop the box depends on its mass, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it's sliding on, and the initial velocity of the box.

How can the force needed to stop the box be calculated?

The force needed to stop the box can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration needed to stop the box.

Does the surface the box is sliding on affect the force needed to stop it?

Yes, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it's sliding on will affect the force needed to stop the box. A higher coefficient of friction will require a greater force to stop the box.

Can the force needed to stop the box be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to stop the box can be reduced by decreasing its initial velocity or by using a surface with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, adding a force in the opposite direction of motion can also decrease the force needed to stop the box.