1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A boy, a cart, a loop , an icecream-cone

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    Was sitting in class thinking about this problem, did some rough sketches of a solution but never really managed to solve it.

![Ice cream cone and a loop-de-loop][1]

D8XAh.png

The problem boiled down to finding out how much time the boy uses getting from the top of the loop to the bottom. Any help, solutions or inputs would be great.

--------------------------------------

My attempt, I know that this is most likely 90% wrong

By using conservation of mechanical energy. The speed at the bottom of the hill equals

[tex] v_b^2 = Rmg [/tex]

And the velocity at the top of the loop equals

[tex] v_t^2 = 2g\left( R - 2r \right) [/tex]

Vi know that the aceleration is constant and equals [itex] g [/itex] (Here is where I think I make my mistake, forgot to account for the angular velocity)

[tex] s = \dfrac{v_1 - v_0}{2} t [/tex]

We use this equation to find out how long it takes the boy to get from the top, to the bottom of the loop.

[tex] t \, = \, \dfrac{2s}{v_1 - v_0} \, = \, \dfrac{2\left( \dfrac{2\pi r}{2}\right)}{\sqrt{2gR} - \sqrt{2g(R - 2r)}} [/tex]

Now we figure out how long it takes the icream to fall the distance of the diameter or [itex] 2r [/itex] .

[tex] s = v_0 + \dfrac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]
    [tex] t = \sqrt{\dfrac{2s}{g}} \, = \, \sqrt{\dfrac{4r}{g}} \, = \, 2 \sqrt{\dfrac{r}{g}} [/tex]

By setting these two equations equal each other, and solving for [itex] R [/itex] , we obtain that

[tex] R = \dfrac{16+8 \pi^2+\pi^4) r}{8 \pi^2} \cdot r \approx 2.43 r [/tex]

------------------------------------------------------

Any comments, suggestions, hints soloutions would be much obliged =)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The time for the boy to slide down the semicircle is found from integrating the conservation of energy formula. It is however an elliptic integral so you'd have to make an approximation somewhere.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    Could you elaborate a bit more, would one turn the loop sideways. And integrate with respect to r?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook