A bullet hits a rod; find the angular velocity

In summary, we have a uniform rod of length L resting on a frictionless horizontal surface, pivoting about a fixed frictionless axis at one end. A bullet with a mass of one-fourth the mass of the rod strikes the center of the rod at a 90 degree angle and becomes embedded in it. The final angular speed of the rod is 6v/L, and the ratio of the kinetic energy of the system after the collision to the kinetic energy of the bullet before the collision is 6/19. This is determined through the conservation of angular momentum and the use of equations for angular velocity and kinetic energy.
tylertwh

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length L rests on a frictionless horizontal surface. The rod pivots about a fixed frictionless axis at one end. The rod is initially at rest. A bullet traveling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v strikes the rod at its center and becomes embedded in it. The mass of the bullet is one-fourth the mass of the rod.
Mass(bullet) = (1/4)Mass(rod)

A)What is the final angular speed of the rod?

B)What is the ratio of the kinetic energy of the system after the collision to the kinetic energy of the bullet before the collision?

Homework Equations

v = ω*L
KE = (1/2)Iω2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v = ω*L is correct. I am missing the coefficient in front of it. The only thing that I can think of is the fact that the mass of the bullet being 1/4 that of the rod will somehow be put into this equation as well as the equation for part B.

So for part A...
I am not sure of any equation that will get me the proper coefficient for the answer of ω = v/L

For part B...

Bullet
KE = (1/2)Iω2
KE = (1/6)mL2ω2
KE = (1/6)mv2

System
KE = (1/2)Iω2
KE = (1/6)mL2ω2
...since mass of the bullet is 1/4 of the system...
KE = (1/24)mL2ω2
KE = (1/24)mv2

When we put {KE = (1/24)mv2}/{KE = (1/6)mv2}
1/4

But that is wrong as well...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the conservation of angular momentum for part a. Until you get the final angular speed of the rod/bullet system I don't think you can calculate the energy fraction.

how would that work when the bullet hits the rod at a 90 degree angle? I don't know what I would put for the ω(bullet). Unless somehow I incorperated ω=v/r, but even then I am not sure what I would put for the r?

Iω(initial) = Iω(final)
mv2ω(initial) = (1/3)mv^2*[v/r]

ω(initial) = ?

w=v/r, yes. Doesn't the bullet strike the rod at its center (i.e. halfway along its length)?

Iω(initial) = Iω(final)
mv2ω(initial) = (1/3)mv2*[v/r]
(mv3)/r = ((1/3)mv2ω
ω = 3v/r = 3v/L

tylertwh said:
Iω(initial) = Iω(final)
mv2ω(initial) = (1/3)mv2*[v/r]
(mv3)/r = ((1/3)mv2ω
ω = 3v/r = 3v/L

wait.
r => (1/2)r...
so the answer would actually be 6v/L = ω

well... I used all my attempts for that one.. the answer is (6/19)v/L

Could you possibly explain why?

figured all of it out! no more help needed

1. What is the formula for finding angular velocity?

The formula for finding angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

2. How does a bullet hitting a rod affect its angular velocity?

When a bullet hits a rod, it transfers its momentum and energy to the rod. This sudden change in momentum and energy causes the rod to rotate, resulting in an increase in its angular velocity.

3. Can the angular velocity of a rod be negative?

Yes, the angular velocity of a rod can be negative. Negative angular velocity indicates that the rod is rotating in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. In other words, it is rotating clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

4. How does the mass and length of a rod affect its angular velocity after being hit by a bullet?

The mass and length of a rod have a direct impact on its moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means that it will take more force to change the angular velocity of the rod. Therefore, a heavier and longer rod will have a lower angular velocity compared to a lighter and shorter rod when hit by a bullet.

5. Is it possible to calculate the angular velocity of a rod if the bullet's velocity is known?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the angular velocity of a rod if the bullet's velocity is known. This can be done by using the principle of conservation of momentum, where the momentum of the bullet before and after the collision is equal to the momentum of the rod after the collision. By knowing the mass and velocity of the bullet, the angular velocity of the rod can be calculated using the formula ω = mv/I, where m is the mass of the bullet, v is its velocity, and I is the moment of inertia of the rod.