A Bus travelling at a very high speed.

In summary: However, they also showed that the gain was much larger for east-west than for north-south motion. So, while general relativity predicts the effect, the mechanism by which it happens is still unknown.
Naveen123
A bus travels at a very high speed. It's time slows down.

What's the mechanism by which this happens?

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naveen123 said:
A bus travels at a very high speed. It's time slows down. A
No, it doesn't. As far as people in the bus are concerned, everything happens at normal speed. Their watches run at normal speed, they breath normally, they walk up and down the aisle as usual.

Also, remember that this is relativeity. It makes no sense to say "travels at a very high speed" without specifying relative to what that speed is measured. If a bus went by me at relativistic speed, relative to me, and it were possible to observe the people on the bus, I would see them moving slowly, breathing slowly, their watches running slow, etc.

However, again, this is "relative". From the point of view of the people in the bus, they are stationary and I am moving very fast relative to them. They would see me moving slowly, breathing slowly, my watch running slowly, etc.

What's the mechanism by which this happens?

Any help please?
What do you mean by "mechanism"?

Actually if the bus is traveling westwards clocks on board that bus will tick faster then they would it the bus had stayed in the garage. If, on the other hand, the bus would travel eastward clocks on the bus will start ticking slower. This is becaue the Earth rotates "eastwards".

What actually matters is what velocity the bus will have in relation to the center of the earth... This has been confirmed in an experiment called the "Hafele and Keating experiment". You can google it. In that expreiment they were using aeroplanes and not busses but the physics is the same.

I am not qualified to explain why general relativity predicts this...

Since the OP is no longer with us, it's a good time to close the thread.

Agerhell said:
Actually if the bus is traveling westwards clocks on board that bus will tick faster then they would it the bus had stayed in the garage. If, on the other hand, the bus would travel eastward clocks on the bus will start ticking slower. This is becaue the Earth rotates "eastwards".
This is a joke, right?

What actually matters is what velocity the bus will have in relation to the center of the earth... This has been confirmed in an experiment called the "Hafele and Keating experiment". You can google it. In that expreiment they were using aeroplanes and not busses but the physics is the same.

I am not qualified to explain why general relativity predicts this...
Okay, I did google it. Hafele and Keating showed a time gain in both directions, as relativity predicts.

1. What is considered a "very high speed" for a bus?

A bus travelling at a very high speed is typically defined as traveling at speeds over 70 miles per hour. However, this may vary depending on the type of bus and the road conditions.

2. Can a bus safely travel at a very high speed?

Yes, buses are designed to travel at high speeds and can do so safely as long as they are well-maintained and driven by a trained and experienced driver.

3. How does a bus travelling at a very high speed affect fuel efficiency?

When a bus travels at high speeds, it requires more energy to overcome air resistance and maintain its speed. This leads to a decrease in fuel efficiency as the bus uses more fuel to maintain its speed.

4. Does a bus travelling at a very high speed impact the safety of its passengers?

Yes, travelling at high speeds can increase the risk of accidents and injuries. This is why it is important for bus drivers to follow speed limits and drive safely to ensure the safety of their passengers.

5. What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents when a bus is travelling at a very high speed?

Buses are equipped with safety features such as seatbelts and airbags, and they undergo regular maintenance and safety inspections. In addition, drivers are trained to handle the vehicle at high speeds and are required to follow traffic laws and regulations.