1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering A choice for a Heat and Mass Transfer Reference TextBook

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    Which of the two books would you pick as an undergraduate engineering student if you were to study the subject of Heat and Mass Transfer entirely on your own?

1. Heat and Mass Transfer: Fundamentals and Applications by Cengel & Ghajar

2. Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer by Incropera,Dewitt,Bergman & Lavine

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2015 #2

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

4. Oct 3, 2015 #3
    A second hand paperback would be my choice as a student.
    Cengel you can get for $38
    Incropera you can get for $20

On amazon, there are a number of entries for the book of Cengel, and although the mean rating does say something, I would always check why somebody gives a book a low rating. A 3-star rating for Cengel complained for instance that the pages in the paperback version are not bound very tightly. This is the reason that I prefer a second hand hardcover over a new paperback, even if it means buying a previous edition. But this is not really a complaint about the actual content. Another reviewer gave 4 stars and complained that there were many typos.
    For Incropera people complain that the solution manual can only be found online on the Wiley website, and that the exercises are very different from the examples. For self-study, this would be important to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted