Heat and Mass Transfer: Thermal Radiation Circuit

In summary, the problem involves a piece of bread being toasted in a toaster with a heating element made of a wire 2 mm in diameter. The toaster is well-insulated and for the sake of time, it is assumed that no air flows through the assembly. The task is to sketch the radiation circuit and calculate the relevant resistances for the circuit. The equations necessary to estimate the temperature distribution in the bread must also be set up. It is mentioned that the problem becomes more complex if air flows through the toaster.
jdawg

Homework Statement

1.) A piece of bread (ε = 0.85) is being toasted in a toaster, as shown below. The heating element of the toaster consists of a wire 2 mm in diameter that is wound to approximate cylinders spaced 2 cm apart. This element acts as a blackbody. The housing for the toaster is a well-insulated piece of sheet metal (ε = 0.5). For the sake of time, assume no air flows through the assembly. You may also assume the configuration shown below repeats over a long distance.

a.) Sketch the radiation circuit for this arrangement and label all relevant resistances.

b.) Calculate the relevant resistances for the radiation circuit above. You may approximate the bread and metal surface areas with the separation, s, and the element surface area with the circumference.

c.) Set up the equations necessary to estimate the temperature distribution in the bread. Start with the full version of the conduction heat equation, state the relevant assumptions and simplify accordingly, and define any appropriate boundary and initial conditions.

d.) Comment on how this analysis would change if air flowed through the toaster. In particular, address how the radiation circuit would change and why it would change.
upload_2018-4-26_16-19-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the moment I'm stuck at part A. I attached my attempt at the solution so far. I guess I'm not sure if its appropriate to treat all of the cylinders as one surface as opposed to having some sort of elaborate parallel thermal circuit trying to account for all four cylinders shown.

Sorry for the awful picture quality, my scanner is acting up so I had to take a picture with my phone.

upload_2018-4-26_16-31-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_16-19-23.png
    upload_2018-4-26_16-19-23.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 428
  • upload_2018-4-26_16-31-37.png
    upload_2018-4-26_16-31-37.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
Because I am only an electric engineer I would be curious to understand the problem.
The relevant equations are missing.
If radiosity [or M-excitance] J=εσT^4+ρE [W/m^2] where:
E=dΦ/dA; Φ=power of the source and ρ=part of the E of the source
how do you define the resistance?

1. What is thermal radiation circuit?

The thermal radiation circuit is a model used to understand the transfer of thermal energy through radiation. It consists of a source of thermal radiation, a medium through which the radiation travels, and a receiver that absorbs the radiation.

2. How does thermal radiation transfer heat?

Thermal radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation that carries energy. When the source of thermal radiation is at a higher temperature than the receiver, the radiation is emitted and travels through the medium until it reaches the receiver. This process transfers thermal energy from the source to the receiver.

3. What factors affect the thermal radiation circuit?

The amount of thermal radiation that is emitted and transferred in the circuit is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the source and receiver, the distance between them, and the properties of the medium through which the radiation travels, such as its opacity and reflectivity.

4. How is thermal radiation circuit different from conduction and convection?

Thermal radiation is a form of heat transfer that does not require a medium to travel through, unlike conduction and convection. It can also transfer heat over long distances and through vacuum. Conduction, on the other hand, occurs through direct contact between two objects, while convection involves the movement of a fluid or gas to transfer heat.

5. How is the thermal radiation circuit used in real-world applications?

The thermal radiation circuit is used in various industries, including in the design of thermal insulation for buildings and in the development of solar panels. It is also used in thermography, which is the use of infrared cameras to detect and measure thermal radiation emitted by objects, allowing for the detection of heat leaks and other temperature-related issues.