A conflicting result of Euler's formula

• Thread starter Undoubtedly0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
Therefore, the equation is valid only for integer values of 'x' and not for fractional values like 2/3. This is why the right expression gives an incorrect result for x=2/3.
Undoubtedly0
It can be shown from Euler's formula that

[tex] \left(-1\right)^x = \cos(\pi x) + i\sin(\pi x) [/tex]

However, consider [itex] x = 2/3 [/itex]. The left expression gives

[tex] \left(-1\right)^\frac{2}{3} = \left(\left(-1\right)^2\right)^\frac{1}{3} = \left(1\right)^\frac{1}{3} = 1 [/tex]

while the right expression gives

[tex] \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) + i\sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) = -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i [/tex]

What has gone wrong here? Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
because you have not done it in general.
(-1)^x=cos(n*pi*x)+isin(n*pi*x) where n is odd integer.now put x=2/3 and n=3.
you get it equal to 1.also check out that -1 has three cube roots so just check out that that complex number is arising because of other roots.

Undoubtedly0 said:
It can be shown from Euler's formula that

[tex] \left(-1\right)^x = \cos(\pi x) + i\sin(\pi x) [/tex]

However, consider [itex] x = 2/3 [/itex]. The left expression gives

[tex] \left(-1\right)^\frac{2}{3} = \left(\left(-1\right)^2\right)^\frac{1}{3} = \left(1\right)^\frac{1}{3} = 1 [/tex]

while the right expression gives

[tex] \cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) + i\sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) = -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i [/tex]

What has gone wrong here? Thanks all.

Complexpowers, roots don't behave as real ones. Read about multivaluate complex functions...or wait until the appropiate course at university.

DonAntonio

andrien said:
because you have not done it in general.
(-1)^x=cos(n*pi*x)+isin(n*pi*x) where n is odd integer.now put x=2/3 and n=3.
you get it equal to 1.also check out that -1 has three cube roots so just check out that that complex number is arising because of other roots.

How does one derive [itex] (-1)^x=\cos(n\pi x)+i\sin(n\pi x) [/itex]?

To derive [itex] (-1)^x=\cos(\pi x)+i\sin(\pi x) [/itex] I simply used
[tex] \ln\left((-1)^x)\right)=x\ln(-1)=x\pi i [/tex]
therefore [itex] (-1)^x = e^{x\pi i} = \cos(\pi x)+i\sin(\pi x) [/itex].

Where did I miss the general case? Thanks again.

can't you just verify that -1 is equal to exp(i*n*pi) when n is odd.

The equation, (-1)^x=cos(pi*x)+i*sin(pi*x) is derived from Euler's identity based on the assumption that 'x' is an integer. Hence substituting fractional value for 'x' in the equation will lead to erroneous results. The derivation is as follows,
e^(i*y)=cos(y)+i*sin(y)...(Original Euler's identity)
Now replacing 'y' with 'pi*x', you will end up with
e^(i*pi*x)=cos(pi*x)+i*sin(pi*x)...(1)
Assuming that 'x' is an integer, cos(pi*x)=(-1)^x and sin(pi*x)=0.
substituting them in (1)
e^(i*pi*x)=(-1)^x...(2)
substituting (2) in (1), you will end up with (-1)^x=cos(pi*x)+i*sin(pi*x) for x is an integer.

1. What is Euler's formula and what does it state?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the complex exponential function to trigonometric functions. It states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. What is a conflicting result of Euler's formula?

A conflicting result of Euler's formula is when the equation e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x) does not hold true for a given value of x. This means that the complex exponential function and trigonometric functions do not match up, which can be a source of confusion for some.

3. Why might there be a conflicting result of Euler's formula?

The most common reason for a conflicting result of Euler's formula is a mistake in calculation or inputting the values. Another possibility is that the values are not in the correct form, such as using degrees instead of radians.

4. How can a conflicting result of Euler's formula be resolved?

If the conflicting result is due to a mistake in calculation or input, it can be resolved by double-checking the values and making corrections as needed. If the values are in the correct form, but the equation still does not hold true, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a math expert or consult other resources for clarification.

5. Is a conflicting result of Euler's formula common?

No, a conflicting result of Euler's formula is not common. The equation is widely used and has been proven to hold true in most cases. However, errors in calculation or input can lead to conflicting results, so it is important to double-check the values and ensure they are in the correct form.