A couple of questions about Multiverse and Q. Mechanics.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
2sin54
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes. Which is the right one? If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?

2) In quantum mechanical sense, is it correct to say that there is a probability (negligible of course) that all the atoms that I am made of could spontaneously travel one meter to my right (quantum tunneling?)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes.
Which theory?

Which is the right one?
There are no "right" theories, just successful theories and wrong theories.

If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?
You refer to the many-worlds interpretation?
It is pointless to give a specific number for that, as branching occurs all the time. "Finite" should be fine, however.

2) In quantum mechanical sense, is it correct to say that there is a probability (negligible of course) that all the atoms that I am made of could spontaneously travel one meter to my right (quantum tunneling?)?
Right.
 
Gytax said:
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes. Which is the right one? If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?

There is at present absolutely ZERO evidence for more than exactly ONE universe. There MAY be others but right now that's pure speculation / interpretation.