A couple questions - need answers to for final

In summary, while studying for a physics final exam, the conversation discussed what would happen to a photon with energy between X and Y J incident on an electron in different energy levels. It was determined that the photon would not be absorbed and would simply pass through the atom. Additionally, it was noted that a photon without enough energy to liberate an electron would simply be reflected.
Atomos
While studying for my final exam in physics I have come across some problems that I need resolved.

1) Suppose a the energy required to bring an electron in the ground state of an atom to the second energy level is X J and the energy to bring it to the third is Y J. What happens to a photon that is incident upon this election with ana energy between X and Y?

2) Similar to the last question...What happens to a photon that does not have enough energy to liberate a photoelectron from a photoelectric surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- I think it depends on the material, but I'm not sure. What have you learned about phonons?

-2- Seems like it could be reflected or absorbed. Is there more information?

2 very interesting questions. Pretty relevant to what I would be tested on also. If you do get the answers do post it here if you don't mind! Thanks!

al_201314 said:
2 very interesting questions. Pretty relevant to what I would be tested on also. If you do get the answers do post it here if you don't mind! Thanks!

After talking to a few classmates, it appears that if a photon does not have an energy greater than the work function of a metal it is reflected away. I don't agree with this. Couldnt an electron absorb the photon, move to a potential within the metal lower than 0 J, but fall back down to the work function and reemmit the photon?

I am still curious about the first question. I don't think its answer depends on the atoms.

Atomos said:
While studying for my final exam in physics I have come across some problems that I need resolved.

1) Suppose a the energy required to bring an electron in the ground state of an atom to the second energy level is X J and the energy to bring it to the third is Y J. What happens to a photon that is incident upon this election with ana energy between X and Y?
The photon would simply be unabsorbed. It would go through unaffected (actually, it would interact a bit with the entire atom as a whole, giving it a bit of overall momentum but this is a very small effect for visible or near visible radiation, it's only at very large energies/very small wavelengths that this becomes an important factor as in the Compton effect)

Atomos said:
After talking to a few classmates, it appears that if a photon does not have an energy greater than the work function of a metal it is reflected away. I don't agree with this. Couldnt an electron absorb the photon, move to a potential within the metal lower than 0 J, but fall back down to the work function and reemmit the photon?

That's what "reflected" means.

StatusX said:
That's what "reflected" means.
:rofl: sorry

Thanks for the help nrqed and StatusX.

nrqed said:
The photon would simply be unabsorbed. It would go through unaffected (actually, it would interact a bit with the entire atom as a whole, giving it a bit of overall momentum but this is a very small effect for visible or near visible radiation, it's only at very large energies/very small wavelengths that this becomes an important factor as in the Compton effect)

Is it to say that then the reflected photon has less energy because of this?

Atomos said:

2) Similar to the last question...What happens to a photon that does not have enough energy to liberate a photoelectron from a photoelectric surface?

1) Take note that in order to excite an electron to a higher energy state, there's only one number required, that is the excitation energy and nothing else. For your question, the photon will excite to 1st energy level and the remaining energy becomes its KE. It does not reach 2nd energy level.

2) By energy conservation, one photon liberates one electron. If there is insufficient energy, the photon simply bounces off the electron. No liberation of electron takes place.

1. What is the purpose of "A couple questions - need answers to for final"?

The purpose of "A couple questions - need answers to for final" is to gather information and provide answers for a final project or exam.

2. How many questions are typically included in "A couple questions - need answers to for final"?

As the name suggests, "A couple questions - need answers to for final" usually consists of two or a few questions, but it can vary depending on the assignment or exam.

3. Are the questions in "A couple questions - need answers to for final" open-ended or multiple choice?

The format of the questions in "A couple questions - need answers to for final" can vary. They can be open-ended, multiple choice, or a combination of both.

4. Can you provide some tips for answering questions in "A couple questions - need answers to for final"?

Some tips for answering questions in "A couple questions - need answers to for final" include reading the questions carefully, organizing your thoughts before answering, providing supporting evidence or examples, and proofreading your answers before submitting.

5. How should I approach studying for "A couple questions - need answers to for final"?

The best approach for studying for "A couple questions - need answers to for final" is to review the material covered in class, practice answering similar types of questions, and seek clarification from your instructor if needed.