Calculating Kinetic Energy of Photoelectrons in Ultraviolet Metal Interaction

In summary, the question is asking for the largest kinetic energy of photoelectrons generated when a beam of ultraviolet light is incident on a metal with a work function of 3.0eV, while the metal is applied with +1.0V with respect to the ground. The formula KEmax = hf - work function can be used to solve this, but the question remains whether the applied voltage affects KEmax. However, this voltage is not relevant to the calculation, as the stopping potential is determined by the energy difference between the incident light and the work function, not the applied voltage.
JakeP
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello guys, i need some help in clarifying a question.

A beam of ultraviolet light with wavelength of 200nm is incident on a metal whose work function is 3.0eV. Note that this metal is applied with +1.0V with respect to the ground, Determine the largest kinetic energy of the photoelectrons generated in this process.

Using the formula of KEmax = hf - work function, i can come up with an answer for it. However, from the question, it states the metal is applied with +1.0V with respect to the ground;Does this Voltage affect the KEmax? Because if i were to find stopping potential Vs using E=q|Vs|, Vs will result in approximately 6.211V, taking q to be 1.6 x 10^-19. So i believe that this voltage across the metal is redundant in the calculation.

Kindly advice.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JakeP said:
Using the formula of KEmax = hf - work function, i can come up with an answer for it. However, from the question, it states the metal is applied with +1.0V with respect to the ground;Does this Voltage affect the KEmax? Because if i were to find stopping potential Vs using E=q|Vs|, Vs will result in approximately 6.211V, taking q to be 1.6 x 10^-19.
So if the applied potential was 6.211 V instead of 1 V, what would you answer for KEmax?

Likes xTyler
Won't it be the same as KEmax?

I'm quite confused, is it alright to assume that the applied +1V on the metal is also the stopping voltage? And does this applied voltage on the metal makes it harder for the electrons to break the bond from metal -> Vacuum -> Being ejected ?

xTyler said:
I'm quite confused, is it alright to assume that the applied +1V on the metal is also the stopping voltage?
No. As said, the stopping potential is 6.211 V.

xTyler said:
And does this applied voltage on the metal makes it harder for the electrons to break the bond from metal -> Vacuum -> Being ejected ?
No. It changes what happens to the freed electron.

JakeP said:
Won't it be the same as KEmax?
What is the definition of the stopping potential?

I had this question figured out. Thanks!

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the underlying mechanisms of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest structures. It has also led to technological advancements, such as lasers, transistors, and computer memory chips.

3. What are the main principles of quantum physics?

The main principles of quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles explain the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in terms of the scale at which it operates and the principles it follows. Classical physics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Additionally, classical physics follows deterministic principles, while quantum physics allows for uncertainty and probability.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Some real-world applications of quantum physics include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize industries such as healthcare, finance, and communication by providing faster and more secure methods of data processing and communication.