A Cubic Function and a Straight Line with One-variable Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about a question posted in a homework forum that was not answered, so the person turned to a more analytical and rigorous forum for help. They discuss part iv) of the question and someone provides a solution by expanding the right-hand side of the equation and equating coefficients. The person asking the question had initially thought there was a more complicated solution, but the answer turned out to be simpler.
seniorhs9
Hi. I posted this in the Homework question but after 152 views with no right answer, my question looks analytical and rigorous enough to be posted here.

Thank you...

----

I am asking about part iv).

[PLAIN]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7977/113ivb.jpg

Attempt at a solution

In the given fact, I think [itex] x^3 - x - m(x - a) [/itex] distance from the cubic function to the line. So for every point in [itex] (b, c) [/itex], this would be negative.

I'm really not sure how to show [itex] c = -2b [/itex] so I just tried to play with some algebra...

At x = b... [itex] b^3 - b - m(b - a) = 0 [/itex]

At x = c... [itex] c^3 - c - m(c - a) = 0 [/itex]

So they're both equal to 0...

[itex] b^3 - b - m(b - a) = c^3 - c - m(c - a) [/itex]

so [itex] b^3 - b - mb = c^3 - c - mc [/itex]

so by part i) [itex] b^3 - b - b(3b^2 - 1) = c^3 - c - c(3b^2 - 1) [/itex]

so [itex] b^3 - b - 3b^3 + b = c^3 - c - 3b^2c + c[/itex]

so [itex] -2b^3 = c^3 - 3b^2c [/itex]

so [itex] b^2(3c - 2b) = c^3 [/itex]

but this doesn't look useful...

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FOR PART 4:
You just expand RHS of give eq. in and equate coefficients of x^2 on both sides and you'll get it.

Hi omkar13. Thanks so much for your answer.

Now I feel like an idiot...how did you see to expand the RHS of the given eq.?

Somehow I didn't see it...I thought there was something harder going on...

1. What is the difference between a cubic function and a straight line?

A cubic function is a polynomial function with a degree of three, meaning it has an equation of the form y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. A straight line, on the other hand, is a linear function with a degree of one, meaning it has an equation of the form y = mx + b. The main difference between the two is that a cubic function has a curved graph, while a straight line has a constant slope and is always a straight line.

2. How do you graph a cubic function and a straight line?

To graph a cubic function, you need to plot points on a coordinate plane using the equation y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. To graph a straight line, you need to plot two points on a coordinate plane and then draw a line passing through those points. You can also use the slope-intercept form y = mx + b to graph a straight line, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the relationship between a cubic function and a straight line?

A cubic function and a straight line may have points of intersection, but they are fundamentally different types of functions. A cubic function has a degree of three, while a straight line has a degree of one. The main relationship between the two is that a straight line can be a part of a cubic function, as it can be represented as a constant term in the equation y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d.

4. How do you solve for the roots of a cubic function and a straight line?

The roots of a cubic function and a straight line can be found by setting the function equal to zero and solving for the variable. For a cubic function, this means using methods like factoring, the rational root theorem, or the cubic formula. For a straight line, the root can be found by setting y = 0 and solving for x, which will give you the x-intercept of the line.

5. How is calculus used to analyze cubic functions and straight lines?

Calculus is used to find the derivatives of cubic functions and straight lines, which can provide information about the rate of change of the function or the slope of the line at a particular point. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a cubic function or the area under a straight line on a specific interval. Calculus can also be used to find the relationship between a cubic function and its derivative, known as the first derivative test.