1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A diatomic ideal gas such as air. . .

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    A diatomic ideal gas such as air, for which γ = 1.4, expands adiabatically to 40 times its original volume.
    (a) By what factor does the temperature change?
    (b) By what factor does the pressure change?

I'm not sure how to attempt/approach this one. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I tried using the equation T = T(not) - (mgh/R)*(gamma-1/gamma) but I didn't get anywhere, because I'm not sure where the expanding 40 times it's original volume comes in.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For adiabatic expansion, there is a simple relationship that involves the initial temperature and initial volume, final temperature and final volume, and gamma.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Picture1.jpg

Are you talking about this equation? I see it relates pressure, volume, and gamma, but not temperature.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, there's another one like that, only it relates a product involving T and V before and after the expansion. You could probably derive it from the relation you posted above + the ideal gas law, or you could look it up. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    So I searched around and found this one. It relates 2 volumes and an initial temperature.

Picture2.jpg

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook