Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A diatomic ideal gas such as air. . .

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    A diatomic ideal gas such as air, for which γ = 1.4, expands adiabatically to 40 times its original volume.
    (a) By what factor does the temperature change?
    (b) By what factor does the pressure change?

I'm not sure how to attempt/approach this one. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I tried using the equation T = T(not) - (mgh/R)*(gamma-1/gamma) but I didn't get anywhere, because I'm not sure where the expanding 40 times it's original volume comes in.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For adiabatic expansion, there is a simple relationship that involves the initial temperature and initial volume, final temperature and final volume, and gamma.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Picture1.jpg

Are you talking about this equation? I see it relates pressure, volume, and gamma, but not temperature.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, there's another one like that, only it relates a product involving T and V before and after the expansion. You could probably derive it from the relation you posted above + the ideal gas law, or you could look it up. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    So I searched around and found this one. It relates 2 volumes and an initial temperature.

Picture2.jpg

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook