1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difficult boat and river problem

1. Jul 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat is rowed with constant speed u starting from a point A on
    the bank of a river of width d , which flows with a constant speed
    nu . The boatman always points the boat at a point O on the other
    side of the bank opposite to A. Find the equation of the path
    r = f (theta ) for the boat.

2. Relevant equations
    dx/dt = v

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find dr/dt in terms of theta. here is my expression dr/dt= u(1-nsin(theta)). The problem is when I integrate it i have to express dt in terms of d(theta) which I cannot find.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2010 #2
    I don't understand the problem much. Is it the boat's velocity relative to the ground, or its velocity relative to the water, which always points towards the water? I guess it's the latter, because if n>1 then there is no chance that the boatman can guide the boat towards O.

Let's assume so. I think your equation is a little bit incorrect (just a little bit, most is fine). First, you should write down the formula of velocity in polar coordinates, i.e. write down [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in term of [tex]r[/tex] , [tex]\theta[/tex] and the unit vectors [tex]\vec{e}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{e}_{\theta}[/tex]. Then use the condition that [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is the sum of 2 velocity: u in the direction towards O and nu in the direction to the left. You should arrive at these 2 equations:

From here, you can solve for [tex]r(\theta)[/tex].

Attached Files:

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    can u explain me how u arrive at the second equation. I dont understand it
  5. Jul 25, 2010 #4
    Can you do step 1, i.e. writing down the formula of velocity in polar coordinates?
  6. Jul 25, 2010 #5
    oh ok I got it. I didnt think of v=r(omega). Thx...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook