A) Doing research "Off the books"? b) Returning Researcher?

In summary: It's not all about getting a LOR. A lot of it is about having the ability to write clearly and concisely.
Lagraaaange
A. Would it be suboptimal to do research with a professor without being registered for "research" or "independent studies"?
B. Furthermore, would it look bad if I took a "returning researcher" position such that I was asked to come back after my summer internship on weekends (twice a month) to do research (mainly data analysis) and calibrate machines as a volunteer in HEP?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether it is suboptimal or not depends on what other choices you have. And whether you can in fact get something useful out of it.

How it will look is pretty much invisible. Essentially you are volunteering to hang around the lab 4 days a month. This isn't really much more than a tour. There is a clear reason nobody wants to pay you for this. It isn't very valuable. In fact, the usual situation of a technician doing the job and also having to hand-hold you would probably mean it is a net negative to the lab.

The only reasons to do unpaid work is if you think it will get you recognition of some kind, or teach you something you could not learn as easily in some other way. Do you think either of these applies?

You are an undergrad, right? If so, I think most undergrads do research without "registering" for it.

How do grad programs vet you in this regard? That is, without knowing whether you conducted real research? Is it all about getting a LOR?

Lagraaaange said:
Is it all about getting a LOR?

Bingo.

If it puts you in a situation where a professor can say positive things about your ability to do research in a LoR, then I'd say it's a good idea. Even if there's no official record of it, your professor can always mention it in his letter.

Do you actually have an arrangement with the professor to do this? I see a lot of problems - there is the issue of minimum wage laws which the university will enforce. There is the fact that, as mentioned, 4 days a month is more a tourist than anything else. There is the need to have someone come in on a weekend - not to do their own work, but to supervise you.

One other thing to be aware of.is that given your track record so far, a mediocre letter of recommendation will be very bad. "He came in on a couple of weekends and puttered around the lab" will not help you at all. You will need to do something specific and identifiable.

Lagraaaange said:
How do grad programs vet you in this regard? That is, without knowing whether you conducted real research? Is it all about getting a LOR?

Doing "real" research is independent of whether or not you get paid. In fact, I've accomplished much more in the 4 years I've done undergrad research (unpaid) than in the summers when I did it for pay, just because you are more free to explore different options without the pressure to have something to show for what you've done.

1. What is "off the books" research?

"Off the books" research refers to conducting research that is not officially sanctioned or funded by an institution or organization. This type of research may be conducted independently or with a small team without the support or oversight of a larger institution.

2. Is "off the books" research ethical?

The ethics of "off the books" research can be complicated and vary depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, it may be considered unethical if it involves deception or harm to participants. However, in other cases, it may be necessary for groundbreaking or controversial research. It is important for researchers to carefully consider the potential ethical implications of conducting research "off the books" and to adhere to ethical guidelines.

3. What are the potential risks of doing research "off the books"?

Some potential risks of conducting research "off the books" include lack of funding and resources, limited access to equipment and facilities, and lack of oversight and accountability. Additionally, conducting research without proper approvals and protocols in place may lead to legal and ethical consequences.

4. What are the benefits of returning to research after a break?

Returning to research after a break can bring many benefits, including renewed motivation and fresh perspectives. Taking a break can also allow researchers to gain new skills and knowledge, as well as time to reflect on their previous work and ideas for future research.

5. How can a researcher smoothly transition back into research after a break?

To smoothly transition back into research after a break, it is important for a researcher to stay updated on current research in their field and to maintain connections with colleagues and mentors. It may also be helpful to attend conferences and workshops to network and gain new knowledge. Additionally, setting realistic goals and timelines can help ease the transition back into research.