1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A electric charge question for two spheres

1. Aug 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A metallic sphere A of radius 1.00 cm is several centimetres away from a metallic spherical shell B of radius 2.00 cm. Charge 450 nC is placed on A, with no charge on B or anywhere nearby. Next, the two objects are joined by a long, thin, metallic wire, and finally the wire is removed. How is the charge shared between A and B?
    a. 225 nC on A and 225 nC on B.
    b. 90.0 nC on A and 360 nC on B, with equal surface charge densities.
    c. 0 on A, 450 nC on B.
    d. 150 nC on A and 300 nC on B.
    e. 450 nC on A and 0 on B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer given is D..
    My attempt was to determine the charge density when the two spheres are connected. Since they are both conudctors I took the fact that all the charge would be on the surface of both spheres. So dividing the charge Q by the total surface area of both spheres, gives a ratio of 1/4 of surface are for sphere A to sphere B. So 90/360, missing something here. thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2014 #2
    I think i worked this one out, when they are connected by the wire the potentials are equal so V1=V2, simplifys to
    [itex]\frac{Q1}{Q2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{r1}{r2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{σ2}{σ1}[/itex]
    Leading to the correct answer..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted