A false approach to an integral....

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of evaluating the integral $\int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \sqrt{1 + \sin^{2} x}\ dx$ using the residue theorem. The approach involves setting $z = e^{i\ x}$ and using Euler's relation, but this fails due to the presence of two branch points inside the unit circle. Deforming the contour around these branch points may allow for the use of the residue theorem, but it may be more challenging than using elliptic integrals.
chisigma
Gold Member
MHB
In...

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/unsolved-analysis-number-theory-other-sites-7479-3.html#post38136

... it has been found the value the integral...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \sqrt{1 + \sin^{2} x}\ dx\ (1)$ At first it seems feasible to set $z = e^{i\ x}$ and the Euler's relation $\displaystyle \sin x = \frac{e^{i\ x} - e^{- i\ x}}{2\ i}$ so that the integral becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \sqrt{1 + \sin^{2} x}\ dx = \int_{\gamma} \frac{\sqrt{1 + (\frac{z - z
^{-1}}{2\ i})^{2}}}{i\ z}\ dz\ (2)$

... being $\gamma$ the unit circle and finally solve (2) with the residue theorem. Thi approach however fails and it is requested to explain why...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1799._xfImportMerry Christmas from Serbia

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• eb191d59c14248f1e362dd5eb1d3102c.jpg
    eb191d59c14248f1e362dd5eb1d3102c.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In theory it could be evaluated using the residue theorem. But you would need to deform the contour around the branch points at $z=1 - \sqrt{2}$ and $z= \sqrt{2}-1$.

Last edited:
What do you mean by fail ? , is it the case the we cannot apply the transformation ? or the integral is difficult to solve using that transformation ?
As RV indicated the square root produces two branch points for the polynomial so in case they are inside \(\displaystyle |z|=1\) we have to deform the contour around them. Looking at the complexity of the answer it might be solvable by this contour but more challenging than using elliptic integrals .

As RV said the problem is the fact that f(z) has two brantch points inside the unit circle and that means that, unless You choose more or less complicated paths excluding them, the direct use of the residue theorem is impossible...
View attachment 1799Merry Christmas from Serbia

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this integral to my attention. After examining the proposed approach, it is clear that it is a false one. While it may seem feasible to use the substitution $z = e^{ix}$ and the Euler's relation $\sin x = \frac{e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2i}$, there are a few issues with this approach.

Firstly, when we substitute $z = e^{ix}$, we are essentially transforming the integral from being over the real interval $[0, 2\pi]$ to being over the unit circle $\gamma$. This transformation is not always valid and can lead to incorrect results.

Secondly, the use of the Euler's relation to simplify the integral leads to a different function being integrated, which is not equivalent to the original integral. This can also lead to incorrect results.

Finally, even if we do manage to correctly transform and simplify the integral, using the residue theorem to solve it may not be the most appropriate method. The residue theorem is typically used for integrals over closed contours, but in this case, we are integrating over a real interval.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider the validity and appropriateness of any approach when solving integrals. It is also important to understand the limitations and assumptions of different methods, and to choose the most suitable one for the given problem.

Happy holidays from a fellow scientist in the US.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is a false approach to an integral?

A false approach to an integral refers to a method or approach that leads to an incorrect solution or result for an integral problem. It may involve incorrect calculations, assumptions, or interpretations of the problem.

3. How can a false approach to an integral impact scientific research?

If a false approach is used in a scientific research study, it can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially invalidate the entire study. This can waste time, resources, and potentially mislead other researchers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include incorrect substitution, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and using incorrect integration techniques for the given function.

5. How can one ensure a correct approach to solving integrals?

To ensure a correct approach to solving integrals, one should double-check all calculations, use appropriate integration techniques, and carefully interpret the problem and its given parameters. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a math expert or consult reputable sources for guidance.