A Fermion interacts with the Higgs field

• I
  • Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
Spinnor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

In a blog post of Matt Strassler we are told about the top quark,

"when the Higgs field is not zero, its presence, and the fact that it has a direct interaction with the top-left and the top-right, forces the top-left to convert over to a top-right, and back again. How often does this happen? About a 100 trillion trillion (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) times a second. "

From, https://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/the-known-apparently-elementary-particles/the-known-particles-if-the-higgs-field-were-zero/

Because an electron is roughly 300,000 lighter than the top quark will the electron convert from electron-right to electron-left roughly 300,000 times slower, only about 3E20 times a second?

Edit, should have read further, the answer to the above is yes, sorry.

If the fundamental fermions are massless and constantly scattering off the Higgs field is there a relationship between their average momentum and their rest mass?

A fermion scatters off the Higgs field into a new direction, are all directions equally likely?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If the fundamental fermions are massless and constantly scattering off the Higgs field is there a relationship between their average momentum and their rest mass?
Unless I misread the article, they aren't scattering off of the higgs field. They might scatter off of a higgs particle, but not the field itself. So the field has no effect on their momentum in the way that a collision might (though it might in other ways, such as by influencing their mass).

Don't take analogies too literally. And I think even the analogy is poor here.