A first course in Calculus by Lang

In summary, the first edition of the conversation's mentioned textbook is shorter with only 250 pages and does not cover Epsilon Delta proofs. It was written for school children and contains basic concepts, while later editions were expanded for university students. The newer editions include Epsilon Delta proofs in the appendix. The first edition has been reprinted as Short Calculus and if looking for a theoretical calculus book, Lang's Undergraduate Analysis is recommended. The conversation also mentions other calculus textbooks, including Thomas/Finney and Leithold Calculus.
OceanSpring
I've noticed that the first edition has 250 some odd pages and I believe the last edition has over 500 pages. Would I be missing out on any material if I bought an earlier edition? I have a limited amount of time so the shorter the text the better.

I also noticed it does not use Epsilon Delta proofs. Most texts make a big deal about the limit setting Calculus apart from all other mathematics so I'm wondering if this is something that should be covered.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first edition was written for school children, around grade 10 or 11 (standard 8/9, or form 4/5). It contains just the fundamentals and bare bones of calculus, just so that school children get the basic ideas and calculations. So it's more like a school textbook. The later editions were expanded to become university textbooks, the level of detail and difficulty also increased; but they are still not rigorous and theoretical, they are more like Stewart's calculus books, although nowhere near as bad. So the recent editions are like a different book from the first one. Actually, the first edition has been reprinted as Short Calculus. If you want a theoretical calculus book then Lang has written Undergraduate Analysis.

The new editions do give epsilon-delta proofs in the appendix, I believe.

Strang is a good teacher, but I did not like his book. If you want to just learn some calculus, any textbook will be good. There are plenty, but I would not recommend Thomas/Finney. I found that book very dull and boring, or maybe I just did not like the presentation. Right now I'm using Leithold Calculus, but that book has significantly more difficult when compared to the College text I'm using for my class, Calculus for Scientist and Engineers by Briggs, Cochrane.

I understand the importance of keeping up-to-date with the latest editions of textbooks. However, in the case of a first course in Calculus, the earlier editions may still provide a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. It is important to note that the core concepts and principles of Calculus remain the same, regardless of the edition. So, if you have a limited amount of time and are looking for a shorter text, the earlier edition may still serve your needs.

As for the use of Epsilon Delta proofs, it is true that they are a fundamental aspect of Calculus and are often emphasized in textbooks. However, their absence in this particular textbook may not necessarily hinder your understanding of the subject. Many other textbooks also choose to omit Epsilon Delta proofs for the sake of brevity. If you are interested in delving deeper into the mathematical rigor of Calculus, there are other resources available that specifically focus on Epsilon Delta proofs.

In conclusion, while the latest edition may offer additional material and updates, it is not necessary to have the newest version in order to gain a solid understanding of Calculus. The earlier edition may still provide a comprehensive overview of the subject, and the absence of Epsilon Delta proofs should not deter you from using the textbook. Ultimately, it is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and goals, rather than solely relying on the edition.

What is "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang?

"A First Course in Calculus" is a textbook written by Serge Lang that covers the basics of single-variable calculus. It is commonly used in introductory calculus courses at the university level.

What topics are covered in "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang?

The book covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of calculus, and techniques for solving problems in calculus.

Is "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang suitable for self-study?

Yes, the book is suitable for self-study as it provides clear explanations and examples, as well as exercises for practice.

Are there any prerequisites for reading "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang?

Some knowledge of algebra, functions, and trigonometry is recommended, but the book covers these topics in the first few chapters.

Is "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang a good preparation for higher-level math courses?

Yes, the book provides a solid foundation in calculus that is essential for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts and courses.