A fixed charge at origin and a moving charge repelled

In summary, the 3.37 µC charge releases energy as it moves away from the origin. The half-speed at which it reaches this energy is given by the equation .059244001 = kQ0q/r.
Travkid

Homework Statement

[/B]
A charge of +3.37µC is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 3.37µC is released from rest at the position (1.15 m, 0.590 m) .
(a) If the mass of the second charge is 2.90 g, what is its speed when it moves infinitely far from the origin?(b) At what distance from the origin does the 3.37 µC charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/charge-at-origin.131159/ (I have the same question as someone else who already asked this question but I still couldn't get the answer)

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 = qV
U= kQq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the answer to A just using Conservation of Energy. But I can't find the answer to B.

√2kq2m(1r0−1r)=12√2kq2m1r0

Someone else wrote how to find part B, but when I solved for it my answered ended solving for r as

r= ro/3

but when I tried this, I couldn't figure it out. My ro was Sqrt(1.6706) so I thought the answer would be Sqrt(1.6707)/3 but it wasn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Travkid said:
I already found the answer to A just using Conservation of Energy. But I can't find the answer to B.
You'd also use conservation of energy for part B. What would the KE be at the point in question? (Use the results from A.) What's the total energy?

7.38087 was the velocity. KE = 1/2mv2
So the total KE is 1/2(0.0029)(7.38087)^2

Total Energy must be equal to KE + PE... hmm. But to find the Potential Energy...
(8.99 x 10^9)(3.37 x 10^-6)^2 / Sqrt(1.6707)

So the Total Energy is both of those put together. But how is the total energy going to help me find the half the speed at infinity?

Travkid said:
7.38087 was the velocity. KE = 1/2mv2
So the total KE is 1/2(0.0029)(7.38087)^2

Total Energy must be equal to KE + PE... hmm. But to find the Potential Energy...
(8.99 x 10^9)(3.37 x 10^-6)^2 / Sqrt(1.6707)

So the Total Energy is both of those put together. But how is the total energy going to help me find the half the speed at infinity?
You know the speed and KE at infinity. At half the speed, what is the KE? What does that leave for PE?

KE at half the speed to infinity: 1/2(0.0029)(3.690435^2 = .019748 Joules

But we know that when the speed is at infinity, potential is equal to 0, right?

Therefore the Potential Energy must be: KE at speed at Infinity - KE at half the speed to infinity
so. PE = 1/2(0.0029)(7.38087)^2 - 1/2(0.0029)(3.690435^2

But now how am I going to use this potential energy to figure out the distance? Oh wait, the equation for the potential gives me the distance between the two points??

Travkid said:
KE at half the speed to infinity: 1/2(0.0029)(3.690435^2 = .019748 Joules

But we know that when the speed is at infinity, potential is equal to 0, right?

Therefore the Potential Energy must be: KE at speed at Infinity - KE at half the speed to infinity
so. PE = 1/2(0.0029)(7.38087)^2 - 1/2(0.0029)(3.690435^2

But now how am I going to use this potential energy to figure out the distance? Oh wait, the equation for the potential gives me the distance between the two points??
Yes.

So the PE is equal to... .078992001 - .019748 = .059244001 Joules.

.059244001 = kQ0q/r I know what both of my Q0, k, q. But I have the energy in Joules and I know I need to convert it into coulombs... I'm working with a positive charge so I need to divide my Potential Energy by the charge of a proton, which is 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs. Now I can find the r, but it will be in meters!

Travkid said:
I have the energy in Joules and I know I need to convert it into coulombs
I hope that's not what you meant. Energy is energy, charge is charge.
Travkid said:
Now I can find the r, but it will be in meters!
Not sure why the exclamation mark. What did you expect a distance to come out in when you use standard units? Or are you just surprised that the answer is not many metres?

Uh oh... I think I'm lost then lol. Well now I have the potential energy... but I'm not sure how to use this to find the distance. I thought I could use the Formula I wrote above.. U =kq0q/r but it doesn't seem right. Am I going to use the eletric potential of a point charge at 0 and infinity? V = kq/r? I have no idea what formula i should use with the potential energy I have...

Travkid said:
now I have the potential energy... but I'm not sure how to use this to find the distance. I thought I could use the Formula I wrote above.. U =kq0q/r but it doesn't seem right
What makes you think it is wrong? Each charge is in Coulombs, r is in metres, and the units of k are such that the right hand side produces Joules, matching the left hand side. Just apply the formula. There is no conversion to be done.

Thank you. End up getting the answer :)

1. What is a fixed charge at origin and a moving charge repelled?

A fixed charge at origin and a moving charge repelled is a phenomenon in electromagnetism where a stationary charged particle at a certain point (origin) exerts a force on a moving charged particle, causing it to move away from the origin.

2. How does this phenomenon occur?

This phenomenon occurs due to the interaction between electric charges. The stationary charged particle creates an electric field around it, which exerts a force on the moving charged particle, causing it to move away from the origin.

3. What is the relationship between the fixed charge and the moving charge?

The fixed charge and the moving charge have an inverse relationship. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the force of repulsion decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force of repulsion increases.

4. What is the difference between a fixed charge at origin and a moving charge attracted?

A fixed charge at origin and a moving charge attracted is a phenomenon where the stationary charged particle attracts the moving charged particle towards the origin. This is in contrast to a fixed charge at origin and a moving charge repelled, where the stationary charged particle repels the moving charged particle away from the origin.

5. Can this phenomenon be applied in real life situations?

Yes, this phenomenon has real-life applications in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation. For example, the force of repulsion between fixed and moving charged particles is utilized in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.