Understanding Part (b) of a Charge Distribution Problem

In summary: I apologise, I meant E = (ρ0 * a3) / (6 * ε0 * r2) for r ≥ a.In summary, the author of the problem is asking for the potential energy of a point charge at a distance of r from a source of positive potential energy. The author states that they understand part (a) of the question, but cannot find the work done to bring the point charge from infinity to a and from a to r. The author provides a solution for part (b), which is that the work done to bring the point charge from infinity to a and from a to r is found and divided by the point charge. The author then asks for the potential energy of a point charge at
L_ucifer
Homework Statement
A solid, nonconducting sphere of radius a has a volume charge density given by the equation ρ(r) = ρ0(r/a)^3, where r is the distance from the sphere’s centre.
(a) Determine the electric field magnitude, E(r), as a function of r.
(b) Determine the potential, V(r), as a function of r. Take the zero of potential at r = ∞.
Relevant Equations
E = -dV/dr
V = -W/q
I understand part (a) of this question, and my answer for that part is:

*For r < a*
E = (ρ0 * r4) / (6 * ε0 * a3)
* For r ≥ a*
E = (ρ0 * a3) / (6 * ε0 * r2)

Now, for part (b), I understand one solution is, for r < a, find the work done to bring a point charge q from infinity to a and then from a to r and divide the work by q. This solution is attached below:

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 12.53.57 AM.png
Now, we also know that E = -dV/dr. This checks out because when we take the negative derivative of V found in the solution, we get the equation for E when r < a. This derivative can also be written as: V = -∫E*dr; however, when I integrate the equation of E for r < a, I get a different solution. Specifically, my solution is the same as the given solution except it doesn't have 6 as a coefficient for a2. Is there a gap in my understanding? What have I done wrong? I appreciate the support.

EDIT: Updated the variables and fixed the typesetting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
L_ucifer said:
I understand part (a) of this question, and my answer for that part is:

*For r < a*
E = (ρ0 * r4) / (6 * ε0 * a3)
* For r ≥ a*
E = (ρ0 * R3) / (6 * ε0 * r2)
This does not seem correct to me. Please show your work.

Orodruin said:
This does not seem correct to me. Please show your work.
I apologise, I meant E = (ρ0 * a3) / (6 * ε0 * r2) for r ≥ a
Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 1.47.05 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 1.47.11 AM.png

Still incorrect with the problem as stated. You are not using the density quoted in the problem statement.

Orodruin said:
Still incorrect with the problem as stated. You are not using the density quoted in the problem statement.
I got the same fields as OP with ##\rho(r)=\rho_0\left(\dfrac{r}{a}\right)^3##. Maybe the discrepancy is due to careless typesetting in the statement of the problem in which the radius of the distribution appears ##R## instead of ##a##. The ratio ##r/a## is cubed in the solution, not multiplied by 3.

kuruman said:
I got the same fields as OP with ##\rho(r)=\rho_0\left(\dfrac{r}{a}\right)^3##. Maybe the discrepancy is due to careless typesetting in the statement of the problem in which the radius of the distribution appears ##R## instead of ##a##. The ratio ##r/a## is cubed in the solution, not multiplied by 3.
Yes, I am not sure why R and a have been switched, but the radius of the sphere is a.

L_ucifer said:
Yes, I am not sure why R and a have been switched, but the radius of the sphere is a.
Welcome to PF. Please learn to post using LaTeX here -- it makes it much easier to quote and edit your posts. See the "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the Edit window. Thanks.

kuruman said:
The exponent is not the issue. The issue is ##a## or ##R## appearing in the ratio in the OP (which OP has now edited) and subsequently in the solution.

@L_ucifer Please do not edit your OP after replies are in place. It only serves to confuse people who are coming into the thread what the previous posts are about. If you need to correct the statement, do so in a follow-up post.

Likes SammyS and berkeman
Orodruin said:
The exponent is not the issue. The issue is ##a## or ##R## appearing in the ratio in the OP (which OP has now edited) and subsequently in the solution.

@L_ucifer Please do not edit your OP after replies are in place. It only serves to confuse people who are coming into the thread what the previous posts are about. If you need to correct the statement, do so in a follow-up post.
Well, this has gone horrendously for me and I do apologise for these silly errors. You live you learn, I guess. Ignoring all my logistical errors, is there any solution to my question?

Where in your solution for the potential for r<a do you not agree with the provided solution?

1. What is part (b) of a charge distribution problem?

Part (b) of a charge distribution problem refers to the second part of the problem where you are asked to calculate the electric field or potential at a specific point in space due to the charge distribution in part (a).

2. How is part (b) different from part (a) in a charge distribution problem?

In part (a) of a charge distribution problem, you are given information about the charge distribution and asked to find the total charge or charge density. In part (b), you are given the charge distribution and asked to find the electric field or potential at a specific point.

3. What information do I need to solve part (b) of a charge distribution problem?

In order to solve part (b), you will need to know the charge distribution, the distance from the point of interest to the charge distribution, and any other relevant information such as the permittivity of the medium.

4. What is the significance of solving part (b) in a charge distribution problem?

Solving part (b) allows you to understand the behavior of the electric field or potential at a specific point due to the given charge distribution. This is important in understanding the overall behavior of the system and its effects on other charges or objects in the vicinity.

5. What are some common methods used to solve part (b) of a charge distribution problem?

Some common methods used to solve part (b) include using the electric field or potential due to a point charge, using the principle of superposition, and using integrals to calculate the electric field or potential due to a continuous charge distribution.