A formal proof for an affirmation about sequences

In summary, the epsilon-convergence theorem states that a sequence converges to a limit x if and only if there exists a positive constant M such that for any epsilon greater than zero, there exists a natural number n that satisfies the inequality |x_n - x| < epsilon M. To prove the reverse implication, we can show that for any M, we can find an N that satisfies the inequality for all n greater than N, thus proving the statement. Although the language used in formal proofs can be difficult, the concept is straightforward.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

Prove that:

The sequence [itex] x_n \to x [/itex] if and only if there is a [itex] M > 0 [/itex] such that [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0[/itex] , [itex]\exists n_\epsilon \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] and [itex]n\geq n_\epsilon [/itex] we have [itex] | x_n - x | < \epsilon M [/itex]

Homework Equations

The first implication "=>" is proved by choosing M = 1. Then, the problem statement is exactly the epsilon-convergence theorem.

I don't know how to prove "<=".

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to chose [itex] \epsilon = \epsilon_1 = \frac{\epsilon}{M}[/itex] , and I get that:

[itex]\exists n_{\epsilon_1} \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] and [itex]n\geq n_{\epsilon_1} [/itex] we have [itex] | x_n - x | < \epsilon_1 M = \epsilon[/itex]

So I found an [itex] n_{\epsilon_1} [/itex] such that ... [itex] | x_n - x | < \epsilon[/itex]. But I should've found a rang that depends on epsilon, not on epsilon1. And this confuses me a little because I don't know for sure if I can state the following: I've found [itex] n_{\epsilon_1} [/itex] so, by substituing , I've found [itex] n_{\frac{\epsilon}{M}} [/itex], which depends on epsilon, but also depends on M, which is a constant, and the theorem is proved. I'm not convinced. Can anyone help me?

P.S: I'm not a native speaker and I definitely have problems with this formal language used, so I hope you guys understood exactly what I said. To me, it seems clear. If it's not, please, let me know, so I can rephrase it. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Stating this a little less formally, what you are really trying to show is that given an M the statement

|##x_n## -x| < ##\epsilon##M (1)

for any ##\epsilon## means |##x_n## -x| goes to zero as n gets large.

So you want to show that if (1) is true then for any ##\epsilon## there is some ##N_{\epsilon}##such that for all n > ##N_{\epsilon}##
|##x_n## -x| < ##\epsilon##.

You set up an ##\epsilon_1 = \epsilon##/M which is correct. Now pick ##N_{\epsilon}## so that for all n > N |##x_n## -x| < ##\epsilon_1##M. Your hypothesis says this should be possible. Of course ##\epsilon_1##M = ##\epsilon##, so you have your result.

What you said is either correct or very close to correct. You knew what you were trying to do. The problem is in stating is so that you fulfill your hypothesis and still get your result. I don't think it is easy even if you speak English well.

1. What is a formal proof for an affirmation about sequences?

A formal proof for an affirmation about sequences is a logical and systematic way of demonstrating the truth of a statement or proposition about sequences. It involves using a set of axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion that can be accepted as universally true.

2. Why is a formal proof important in studying sequences?

A formal proof is important in studying sequences because it provides a rigorous and verifiable method of showing the validity of a statement about sequences. It allows for a deeper understanding and analysis of sequences, as well as the ability to make accurate predictions and generalizations.

3. What are the key components of a formal proof for an affirmation about sequences?

The key components of a formal proof for an affirmation about sequences include a statement or proposition to be proven, a set of axioms and definitions, a logical sequence of steps or arguments, and a conclusion that follows logically from the previous steps.

4. How do you construct a formal proof for an affirmation about sequences?

To construct a formal proof for an affirmation about sequences, you must first clearly state the statement or proposition to be proven. Then, using a combination of axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems, you must provide a logical sequence of steps that lead to the conclusion. Each step must be justified and follow logically from the previous ones.

5. What is the significance of a formal proof in the scientific community?

In the scientific community, a formal proof is highly valued as it provides a rigorous and reliable method of validating a statement or proposition. It allows for the development and advancement of theories and concepts, and helps to establish a solid foundation for further research and experimentation.