Epsilon- N Proof a Sequence Diverges

In summary, the first sequence given, x_n = (n^2 - n)/n, diverges as shown by the fact that for any chosen epsilon, no matter how big n gets, |x_n - x| will always be greater than epsilon. The second sequence, x_n = (-1)^n + 1)/n, also diverges as shown by the fact that for any chosen epsilon, no matter how big n gets, |x_n - x| will always be greater than epsilon due to the terms oscillating between 0 and 1/n. Proving divergence requires showing that there exists an epsilon such that for any N, there exists an n greater than or equal to N where |x_n - x
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1. Let ##x_n = \frac{n^2 - n}{n} ## does ##x_n## converge or diverge?
2. Let ##x_n = \frac{(-1)^n +1}{n} ## does ##x_n## converge or diverge

Homework Equations

A sequence converges if ##\forall \epsilon > 0##, ##\exists N \in \mathbb{N} ## such that ##n\geq N ## implies ## | x_n - L | < \epsilon ##
A sequence diverges if ##\exists \epsilon_{0} > 0##, ##\forall N \in \mathbb{N}##, ##\exists n_{0} \geq N ## such that ##|x_{n_{0}} - L | > \epsilon_{0} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

For one, I noticed that ##x_n = n-1 ## which obviously diverges. But as my teacher says, I got to prove it. So I take ##\epsilon_0 = \frac{1}{2}, \, \, L \in \mathbb{R}, \, \, n \geq N, \, \, N \in \mathbb{N} ##
$$
1.) \, \, | (N - 1) - L | < \frac{1}{2}, \, \, \, \, \, \, \, \, |((N+1)-1) - L | = |N-L| <\frac{1}{2}
$$

I can apply the triangle inequality to find that ##|N-1-L| - |N-1| \le 1 ##, but I can see from 1.) that ## |N-1-L| - |N-L| < 0 ## Therefore ##x_n## diverges.

Obviously I wouldn't be posting here if that satisfied me, it doesn't. ##|N-1-L| - |N-L|=(-\infty, \, 0) ## would satisfy both of those.

2.) I noticed that ##x_n = \frac{(-1)^n +1}{n} > \frac{(-1)^n}{n} ## so all I should have to do is prove ##b_n = \frac{(-1)^n}{n} ## diverges and that should be sufficient. So if we take ##\epsilon_{0} = \frac{1}{2}, \, \, L = 1 \, \, n\geq N ##, ##|b_{n} - 1| > \epsilon ##, ##b_n = 1## when n is even and ##b_n = -1## when n is odd, therefore ##|-1 -1| = |-2| = 2 > \epsilon## which proves ##b_n## is divergent therefore proving ##x_n## is divergent..

This doesn't satisfy my either, I understanding proving convergence just fine but for some reason I find proving divergence harder.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if a sequence diverges, then there will be some ## \epsilon ## such that, no matter how big an ## N ## you pick, ## n \geq N ## will not make ## |x_n - x | < \epsilon ##. That is, we will have ## |x_n - x| \geq \epsilon ## no matter how big ## n ## gets. Does phrasing it that way help clarify things?

Not particularly, I understand what the symbols mean, but actually executing a proof of divergence trips me up. I've started over on the first one, but choosing the epsilon and then proving that no matter what, ##|x_n - L| > \epsilon ##, confuses me.

For your first series, you noticed that ## x_n = n - 1 ##. So the first few terms of the series (assuming we start at ## n = 1 ##) are 0, 1, 2, etc. Suppose ## \epsilon ## is, say, 1/2. For the sequence to converge to x, we would need all the ## x_n ## for big enough ## n ## to make | x_n - x | < 1/2. We have the opposite situation - if you make ## n ## big enough, | x_n - x | = | n - 1 - x | will get bigger than any finite number you choose!

Geofleur said:
For your first series, you noticed that ## x_n = n - 1 ##. So the first few terms of the series (assuming we start at ## n = 1 ##) are 0, 1, 2, etc. Suppose ## \epsilon ## is, say, 1/2. For the sequence to converge to x, we would need all the ## x_n ## for big enough ## n ## to make | x_n - x | < 1/2. We have the opposite situation - if you make ## n ## big enough, | x_n - x | = | n - 1 - x | will get bigger than any finite number you choose!
Oh! Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

For the second one, if we choose epsilon to equal 1

$$
|\frac{(-1)^{n} +1}{n} - L| < 1
$$
If n is odd, ## \frac{L}{n} < 1 ##, which isn't necessarily true for all n. L has to be chosen so that ##\frac{1}{L} > \frac{1}{n}##, but L can't be conditioned by n, it has to be fixed. So it's not looking good for ##x_n##

If n is even, ## \frac{|Ln-2|}{n} < 1##, which isn't true, since Ln - 2 ≥ n, so the fraction ## \frac{|Ln-2|}{n}\geq 1## Therefore ##x_n## diverges.

Write down a bunch of terms of the sequence. Does it look like they are approaching a definite number?

For the second one, no, it's either 0 or 1/n ∀n

But sadly just writing terms isn't sufficient for my professor.

What happens to 2/n when n gets bigger and bigger?

Geofleur said:
What happens to 2/n when n gets bigger and bigger?
It also goes to zero, oops. So it converges and I have to prove that.

You can't prove something that is false, after all :-) That's why it's good to actually write some concrete numbers and get a feel first.

Likes B3NR4Y
Thank you so much! I understand it better now, for sure. :)

1. What is the definition of an epsilon-N proof for a sequence?

An epsilon-N proof for a sequence is a method used to show that a sequence diverges, meaning it does not have a limit. It involves choosing a small value, epsilon, and showing that for any N (a natural number), there exists an element in the sequence that is greater than or equal to epsilon.

2. How do you write an epsilon-N proof for a sequence?

To write an epsilon-N proof for a sequence, you first choose a small value for epsilon. Then, you show that for any N, there exists an element in the sequence that is greater than or equal to epsilon. This can be done by finding a pattern in the sequence or by using the definition of a limit.

3. Can you give an example of an epsilon-N proof for a sequence?

Yes, for example, consider the sequence a_n = 1/n. To prove that this sequence diverges, we choose epsilon = 1/2. Then, for any N, we can find an element in the sequence (for example, a_N+1 = 1/(N+1)) that is greater than or equal to 1/2. Therefore, the sequence does not have a limit and diverges.

4. What is the significance of the epsilon-N proof in mathematics?

The epsilon-N proof is significant in mathematics as it provides a rigorous method for proving that a sequence diverges. It also helps to understand the concept of limits and provides a basis for more advanced mathematical concepts such as series and continuity.

5. Can an epsilon-N proof be used to prove that a sequence converges?

No, an epsilon-N proof can only be used to prove that a sequence diverges. To prove that a sequence converges, a different method, such as the definition of a limit or the Cauchy criterion, must be used.