A funny remark about Newton's Cradle

• Thread starter zwierz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary: As to your second question, there are multiple explanations of the observed behavior. In fact, the first paper referenced discusses four possible explanations.
zwierz
Everybody knows what this is
Balls.gif

Teachers very like to show it to students as an illustration of conservation laws. But this toy illustrates something less trivial also.
And the questions are
1) should students know such things?
2) are there another explanations besides the one proposed below ?

Assume that our Newton Cradle consists of three same balls each ball has mass 1. Initially the first and the second ball are at rest and those are in contact. The third ball hits the second one with velocity 2. The collision is elastic.
Let ##v_i,\quad i=1,2,3## be the velocities of the balls right after the collision. Write down the laws of energy and impulse conservation:
$$v_1^2+v_2^2+v_3^2=4,\quad v_1+v_2+v_3=2.$$
These are two equations with three unknowns. The solution ##v_1=2,\quad v_3=v_2=0## is usually demonstrated but actually this system has the continuum solutions. For example another one is
$$v_1=\frac{1-\sqrt 5}{2},\quad v_2=1,\quad v_3=\frac{1+\sqrt 5}{2}.$$
So that the model of elastic collision does not provide uniqueness of solution and thus this model is incorrect for the Newton Cradle. The explanation of this effect is as follows. The motion after the collision is very sensitive to initial position of the first and the second ball. They may not be in contact but situated very close to each other and this small distance influences heavily to the behavior of the system right after the collision. Almost the same small initial distances between the first and the second ball can give very different velocities after the collision. The result may also be sensitive to small irregularities of the balls at the contact point.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
Science news on Phys.org
The balls are assumed to be in contact. The physical construction has the suspension points separated by very slightly less than the ball diameter so as to ensure contact.

Looking at the animation, I notice that the far string has a few pixels of inward slope. That actually shows the suspension points are spaced at greater than the ball diameter, which is exactly the opposite of how the cradle is made in practice. The suspension must guarantee contact. That pixel string is only visible because one vertical string is shown, but to maintain the balls in a straight line, it takes two strings in a 'V' for each ball.

Funny how the golden ratio shows up when you are not expecting it.

Last edited:
Likes Nidum
Baluncore said:
Funny how the golden ratio shows up when you are not expecting it.
the golden ratio shows up here just by accident, I could assign another initial velocity and another mass or choose another solution
Baluncore said:
The balls are assumed to be in contact. The physical construction has the suspension points separated by very slightly less than the ball diameter so as to ensure contact.
then what is your explanation?

Last edited:
zwierz said:
Everybody knows what this is

Well done! Your post got me thinking about something I (initially) thought was trivial. Here's a few journal papers (I'm reading them now)

http://www.physikdidaktik.uni-karlsruhe.de/publication/ajp/Ball-chain_part2.pdf
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~garyd/Publications/Delaney_2004_AmJPhys_Rocking_Newtons_Cradle.pdf

And a good site:
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/cradle.htm

As to your first question, I'll quote from one of the papers (Delaney):

"Students should see that apparently simple experiments, when closely examined, can raise a number of complicated questions. One also should be cautious about fully accepting well-established explanations of physical phenomena without carefully scrutinizing the arguments."

Likes zwierz
See the play and movie, Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are dead (Tom Stoppard) for a funny illustration of Newtons cradle on youtube

What is Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is a classic physics demonstration and desk toy that consists of a row of suspended metal balls. When one ball on the end is pulled back and released, it strikes the next ball and transfers its energy, causing the last ball to swing out and then back, mimicking the motion of a pendulum.

Who invented Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle was not actually invented by Sir Isaac Newton, despite its name. It was first demonstrated by Simon Prebble in 1967, and was later popularized by actor Simon Prebble in a 1973 film.

Why is Newton's Cradle considered a funny remark?

Newton's Cradle is considered a funny remark because of the ironic contrast between its scientific principles and its use as a novelty item or desk toy. It is also often used in comedy as a symbol of futility or to represent the laws of physics in a humorous way.

What are the scientific principles behind Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle demonstrates Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the law of conservation of energy and momentum. When one ball is pulled back and released, it transfers its energy and momentum to the next ball, causing a chain reaction. The overall energy and momentum of the system remains constant.

Can Newton's Cradle be used for any practical purposes?

While Newton's Cradle is primarily used as a visual demonstration or novelty item, it can also be used for educational purposes to teach about the laws of physics. It can also be used as a stress-relieving toy or as a decorative piece in offices or homes.