A girl coats down a hill on a sled

• Thread starter chenny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl Hill
In summary, the sled travels a distance of approximately 15.4 meters on level ground before coming to rest. This is calculated using the equations for motion and forces, taking into account the initial velocity of 7.0 m/s, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the weight of the sled and girl. A free body diagram can be drawn to visualize the forces acting on the sled.
chenny
reaching level ground at the bottom with a speed of 7.0 m/s. the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled's runners and the hard, icy snow is 0.050, and the girl and sleed together weight 645 N. how far does the sled travel on the ground level before coming to rest?

Physics news on Phys.org
chenny said:
reaching level ground at the bottom with a speed of 7.0 m/s. the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled's runners and the hard, icy snow is 0.050, and the girl and sleed together weight 645 N. how far does the sled travel on the ground level before coming to rest?

What have you tried so far? Where are you running into difficulty?

i just took one look at the problem and my mind went blank. i totally do not know how to start it.

chenny said:
i just took one look at the problem and my mind went blank. i totally do not know how to start it.

Draw a free body diagram. What are the forces acting on the sled?

Remember to break everything up into x- and y-components.

[tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2ad[/tex]

[tex]v_{f}=v_{i}+at[/tex]

[tex]x_{f}=x_{i}+v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

[tex]F_{k}=\mu_{k}N[/tex]

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]w=mg[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the scientific explanation for a girl sledding down a hill?

When a girl sleds down a hill, the force of gravity pulls her and the sled downward. This creates a gravitational potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy as the sled moves down the hill. Friction between the sled and the snow also helps to slow down the sled and bring it to a stop.

How does the angle of the hill affect the girl's speed while sledding?

The steeper the angle of the hill, the faster the girl will go while sledding. This is because the force of gravity has a greater effect on the sledder when the slope is steeper, accelerating them downhill at a faster rate.

What factors can affect the distance a girl sledding down a hill?

The distance a girl travels while sledding down a hill can be affected by various factors, such as the slope of the hill, the weight of the girl and the sled, the amount of friction between the sled and the snow, and any external forces (such as wind) that may act on the sled.

Why does the sled eventually come to a stop?

As the sled moves down the hill, friction between the sled and the snow causes it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. Additionally, the force of gravity pulling the sled down the hill decreases as the slope becomes less steep, further contributing to the sled's eventual stop.

What are some safety precautions that should be taken when sledding down a hill?

When sledding down a hill, it is important to choose a safe and clear path, wear appropriate winter gear, and avoid steep or icy slopes. It is also important to use a sled that is in good condition and to always sled with supervision and within your ability level.