1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest velocity reached on a hill

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alexander sled down a hill and on a snow-covered horizontal leveled ground. He wanted to calculate the highest velocity that the sled can reach. The hill is 3 meters high and 6 meters long. When Alexander sled down the hill he traveled 12,5 meters on the snow-covered ground. Alexander then makes the further assumption that the frictional force is 85% of frictional force on the ground.

Calculate the highest velocity that can be reached by the sled.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the highest velocity is at the bottom of the hill. Basically when he is about to touch the ground. And I am assuming that I have to calculate the acceleration on the hill and then on the ground so that I can solve the problem. I also know that I am going to use this formula: v^2 - v0^2 = 2as

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not clear what you're assuming regarding friction. Is it that the coefficient of friction is 0.85 on the ground?

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    no! The frictional force on the hill is 85% of the frictional force that is on the ground. it doesn't say how much the frictional constant is :/

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so why not assume the frictional forces are ##F## and ##0.85F## and see what you get?

6. Aug 20, 2015 #5
    i don't know how to solve the problem. Where do I start?

7. Aug 20, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start at the top of the hill! You know the height, length of hill, ##g##, ##0.85F##. That's enough to express the velocity at the bottom of the hill in terms of these variables.

8. Aug 20, 2015 #7
    okay but I need the angle to calculate the gravitational force

Cuz the sled is tilted downwards

9. Aug 20, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know the height and the length, then you can work out the angle, surely?

10. Aug 20, 2015 #9
    which angle do I need? the top or the bottom one? Sorry for asking so much :(

11. Aug 20, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need the angle if you think about energy. I suggest that's a better approach in any case.

12. Aug 20, 2015 #11
    okay mgh but I dont have the mass of the sled

13. Aug 20, 2015 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what? Leave it as m.

It stands to reason that if the problem is solvable, the mass is not relevant.

14. Aug 20, 2015 #13
    (g=10)
    Energy = 30*m

(mv^2)/2 = 30*m
    v^2 = 60
    v = sqrt (60)

Is this right?

15. Aug 20, 2015 #14

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the friction?

16. Aug 20, 2015 #15
    oh I forgot...

the friction on the hill is not equal to the force cuz the velocity is not constant. the friction = normal force * mu
    F(friction)=mu * F(normal)

Now I need the angle

17. Aug 20, 2015 #16

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You "know" the frictional force. It's 0.85F. Think energy again: work done by friction.

18. Aug 20, 2015 #17
    but its not 0.85F it is 0,85 * the friction of the ground . which i dont know what to call

19. Aug 20, 2015 #18

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is why you learn algebra in maths! If you always had the numbers, you'd only need a calculator. The magnitude of the force is also not relevant: only the relationship between the friction on the slope and on the ground. We'll call it ##F## on the ground, hence ##0.85F## on the slope.

Now you have two variables: ##m## and ##F##.

You work though the problem using these as variables (isn't algebra great?) and look for the moment when you can cancel them out. Like you did with ##m## when you looked at motion down the slope without friction. You worked out the energy, potential and kinetic, then cancelled the ##m## to get the velocity. This is the same strategy but it's a bit harder to get to the point where you can cancel out ##F## and ##m## and solve for ##v##.

This is real physics, by the way, which putting numbers into a calculator is not. Enjoy it if you can!

20. Aug 20, 2015 #19
    I don't know how to use the friction in an equation. We have a force down the hill and the friction and they are opposite of each other. So we have F=F1-Ffriction

F = m * a

F1 is the force that makes the sled go downwards.

m*a=F1-0,85F

Is this right so far?

21. Aug 20, 2015 #20

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but think Energy. It's much simpler when you have a force and distance. How much energy is lost to friction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted