A good book for a second year linear algebra course?

In summary: I will go through your book, Shilov and Axler..hopefully this will give me enough background to go through Roman. Thank you very much!In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for a good linear algebra book for a second year course. Several suggestions were given, including Advanced Linear Algebra by Roman, Linear Algebra by Kunze and Hoffman, Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler, and Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Treil. The conversation also mentioned free online resources, such as a blog post by the speaker and a book by Roy. The speaker also expressed their preference for Shilov's book over others. Overall, the conversation provided a variety of options for the listener to consider when choosing a linear algebra book.
iceblits
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good linear algebra book for a second year course. In my first semester I learned up to Gram Schmidt process..EigenValues/Vectors etc. I don't care too much about how "easy" the book is to read. A book heavy in theory will do nicely if that's what you have in mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
axler

If your first course was rigorous, try Advanced Linear Algebra by Roman. If not, check out Axler, Hoffman & Kunze, and Friedberg. Best of luck.

Here are my notes from a summer course I taught a while back, meant as a second linear algebra course. Our text for the course was officially Friedberg, Insel, and Spence, which I thought was good. My approach differs from theirs mainly in my extensive use of the concept of the minimal polynomial of a linear map, as an organizing principle. For some reason Insel, et al. seemed the feel that using polynomials made the course too advanced. I also used Shilov as a supplementary text.

Obviously I am not qualified to call my book good, but it is free. Objectively I would say it probably lacks sufficient examples and problems, but overall I enjoyed learning and explaining the ideas while writing it.

Attachments

• 4050sum08notes.pdf
    468.3 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Check this: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3206

I think Hoffman and Kunze would be an ideal book for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the other recommendations here under the rubric "good". I just offered mine because its free. Hoffman and Kunze especially is a classic, (but sometimes pricy).

Here is a reasonable one though, used:

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author=hoffman,+kunze&title=&keyisbn=&format=&dealer_id=133308

LINEAR ALGEBRA
Kunze, Ray & Hoffman, Kenneth
Bookseller: Samkat Books
(Dyersburg, TN, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 22.50
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 4.00
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds
Book Description: Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1961. Hardcover. Book Condition: Ex-Library; G/NONE. Not Latest Edition. Moderate edge wear. Previous owner's name marked out inside front cover. Pages clean, binding good. ; 332 pages. Bookseller Inventory # 63391

either Linear Algebra Done Right (which is the Axler everybody is talking about)

or if you have an ok background in group theory, then I'd say go for Advanced Linear Algebra (again, people have already recommended this one, it's by Steven Roman)

the later is a little more robust, as it is intended for graduate students in mathematics, where the former is intended for upper level undergraduates.

An additional one I thought about that might work for you if you want a short, free text to be a bridge between where you are now and then picking up Roman's book:

http://www.math.miami.edu/~ec/book/

It's free to download the whole thing and it focuses on learning the algebra necessary to get into a more in depth exploration of linear algebra.

Last edited:
Hey thanks so much for the quick replies

I'm currently browsing through the books suggested here and I'm leaning towards getting both Axler and Roman or Roman and Kunze, Ray &Hoffman, Kenneth. It seems Roman is the more rigorous book choice and If I get lost going through that I'll fall back on Axler and the free texts listed here. MathWonk and bpatrick thanks so much for the links to the free texts..MathWonk Ill check out your's out as soon as the pdf is approved and the link is available :)

I prefer Shilov over Axler or Hoffman & Kunze.

MathWonk Thanks for the links! I was looking through your book and the material seems to be within my grasp which is good news..I think

1. What concepts should a good linear algebra book for second year students cover?

A good book for a second year linear algebra course should cover topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations.

2. Are there any recommended books that have a strong focus on applications of linear algebra?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the applications of linear algebra, such as "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay.

3. What kind of exercises should I expect to see in a good linear algebra textbook?

A good linear algebra textbook should have a variety of exercises, including computational problems, proofs, and real-world applications. It is important for students to practice both computational and theoretical skills.

4. How important is it for a linear algebra book to have visual aids and examples?

Visual aids and examples are extremely important in a linear algebra textbook. They can help students understand abstract concepts and make connections between different topics. It is also helpful for students to see how linear algebra is used in real-world situations.

5. Is it necessary for a good linear algebra book to have a solutions manual?

Having a solutions manual can be helpful for students to check their work and understand how to solve problems. However, it is not necessary for a good linear algebra book to have a solutions manual as long as it provides clear explanations and examples throughout the text.