A good book for degree level aerospace

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to study aerospace engineering at university and their desire to be well-prepared for a high-level university like Cambridge. They ask for recommendations on degree level aerospace or mechanical books to read. The responder suggests looking into calculus, physics, and control theory books, and also mentions that other types of engineering training can also lead to a career in the aerospace industry.
Mrbrit
Hi

I’m studying a Btec in aerospace engineering at the minute but next year I’m hoping to head off to university. But when I go I am hoping to get into Cambridge, seeing as this is pretty much the best engineering university in the UK. so when I go there I would like to be pretty book smart already in the subject to show that I will be able to do the course in such a high level university (seeing as I will only have one A-level and I’m doing a vocational course at the minute) so as my title says can anyone recommend any good degree level aerospace/mechanical books that can look at, please bear in mind that I don't want the "ABC" of aerospace, I just want degree level books suitable for first year and second year degree level.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't study engineering but here is the reading list for the first year, maybe someone else could recommend something from it.

Attachments

• Booklist-IA.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 635
I would read up on calculus and basic calculus based physics books. If you manage to get up to differential equations and laplace transforms, I would look into reading a basic control theory book, since I find it very fascinating, and it is very applicable to aerospace.

Also, you can work in the aerospace industry with training other than aerospace engineering. Control engineers are highly sought after also in this industry.

Last edited:

1. What topics should I expect to find in a good book for degree level aerospace?

A good book for degree level aerospace should cover a wide range of topics such as aerodynamics, propulsion, space systems, flight mechanics, and aircraft design. It should also include relevant mathematical and engineering concepts.

2. Is there a recommended book for specific aerospace specializations like avionics or astronautics?

Yes, there are books that focus on specific aerospace specializations. It is important to research and find a book that aligns with your interests and career goals. Some popular options include "Avionics: Elements, Software and Functions" by Cary R. Spitzer and "Introduction to Space Dynamics" by William T. Thomson.

3. Are there any books that provide hands-on learning experiences for aerospace engineering students?

Yes, there are books that offer practical and hands-on learning experiences for students. These books may include case studies, design projects, and simulation exercises to help students apply their knowledge in a real-world setting. "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach" by Daniel P. Raymer is a popular choice for hands-on learning in aircraft design.

4. Can I find books that cover the latest advancements in the aerospace industry?

Yes, there are books that cover the latest advancements and developments in the aerospace industry. It is important to look for books that are recently published and authored by experts in the field. "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr. is a comprehensive book that covers recent advancements in aerospace engineering.

5. Is it necessary to buy multiple books for degree level aerospace or can I find all the information in one book?

It is not necessary to buy multiple books for degree level aerospace as there are many comprehensive books that cover all the necessary topics. However, it is recommended to have a variety of resources to supplement your learning and gain a deeper understanding of the subject. You can also consult with your professors or academic advisors for recommended readings.