• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A good book on Calculus to clear the concepts

• Calculus
  • Thread starter Shafia Zahin
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,
I want to know about some books that can help me to clear my concepts of calculus.I know the basics of differentiation and integration,but don't have clear idea about it.Well,I would like to buy such a book that has explained the rules and methods of calculus properly.Also,I want to know about any book that can help me to do any kinds of differentiation.So, it would be a great help if anyone can tell me about a book containing sufficient examples and help me to go ahead confidently to do any kinds of differentiation or integration.
Thank you,
Shafia.

Answers and Replies

There are too many calculus texts to list. Your best bet would be to sift through the library and find one that suits you. My personal picks were a combination of Serge Lang's texts and Calculus and Analytical Geometry by Thomas/Finney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your help.I believe that these books will help me a lot to improve my ability in calculus as I've seen the preview.I'll look up for these books in my nearest book shop soon.
With regards,
Shafia.:smile:

QuantumQuest
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi,
I want to know about some books that can help me to clear my concepts of calculus.I know the basics of differentiation and integration,but don't have clear idea about it.Well,I would like to buy such a book that has explained the rules and methods of calculus properly.Also,I want to know about any book that can help me to do any kinds of differentiation.So, it would be a great help if anyone can tell me about a book containing sufficient examples and help me to go ahead confidently to do any kinds of differentiation or integration.
Thank you,
Shafia.
In the past I've been taught calculus from the two volumes of Thomas - Finney "Calculus" but I also recommend Stewart's Calculus https://www.amazon.com/dp/0538497815/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Schaum's Outlines of Calculus https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071795537/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for exercises and problems. After these you can go to advanced texts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the 3rd edition of Thomas: Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed. For the multivariable calculus (often called Cal 3),the 9th edition is better than the 3rd. Great use of physics motivation to explain Stokes Theorem.