1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good book on Electric Machinery

1. Aug 15, 2014 #1
    So now we are studying electric machinery in college. The syllabus is this:-

1. Single Phase Transformers
    2. Three Phase Transformers
    3. Special purpose Transformers: Instrument transformers (CT and PT), Earthing transformer, Pulse transformer, High frequency transformer, Converter transformer.

4. General concepts of Rotating Electrical Machines: Electromagnetic torque, Reluctance torque, Constructional features of rotating electrical machines, Classifications of rotating electrical machines, Construction of DC machines, Principle of DC generator, Principle of DC motor, Lap winding, Wave winding, Electrical and mechanical degrees.

5. DC Generators
    6. DC Motors

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2014 #2
    I used 'Electric Machinery' by Fitzgerald, Kingsley and Umans along with 'Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems' by Krause, Wasynczuk and Sudhoff during my time at my university.

I found 'Electric Machinery' to be relatively easy to read, but it's not big on mathematical detail, which can be both a pro and a con. I supplemented with 'Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems' for this reason.

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3
    Well thanks, I read about Fitzgerald, and et al.

I gave a thought to Chapman too. But I think Fitz be the one I should buy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted