Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can i get a good book on electric cars?

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    Where can i get a good book on electric cars??

Does anyone knows a good book dedicated to electric cars???

I mean, not a rigorous text book nor a colourful brochure....

Thanks guys

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

I've seen a few on Amazon, you can preview what's inside them for at least 10-20 pages. A local Borders or B&N would be logical too.

The big problem is the audience and the pace of technology. A book would have to be written in layman's langauge and leave out the complexities of battery usage or motor controllers. And a book written just a few years ago would likely dismiss LiOn or even NiMH as being too expensive (granted they are still not competitive with lead-acid) and sources to procure the equipment change wildly.

The scarcity of hybrid cars (lots of models, low production numbers though) today and the removal of the only mass-produced electric car (EV1 from GM) says a lot about the viability of the technologies on a large scale. And if you just look at the raw energy cost, electricity is more expensive than gasoline, so the efficiency is really important from a value standpoint.

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    I found this book called

""The Electric Car: Development and Future of Battery, Hybrid and Fuel-Cell Cars (Iee Power & Energy Series, 38) (Hardcover)""

on amazon, anyone think its any good???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?