1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Good Book on Massive vs Massless Particles

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hello,

would you be able to recommend a book on introduction to relativity? A one that does a thorough comparison on the physics of massive vs. massless particles

If the book is a popular read (low on math), that would still be quite okay.

I am familiar with "Why does E=mc2" by Cox/Forshaw and "Journey into gravity and spacetime" by Wheeler but probably am missing some good reads that are out there

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2
    Any book focusing on light will do too. I have found bits and pieces in Relativity books that explain light propagation. But these are usually scattered in the text, which is mostly on relativistic phenomena around massive bodies (those with nonzero mass)

The bits on light (e.g. E=mc^2, momentum of light, light orbits around a black hole) are usually within text and take time to dig out...

Is there a Relativity book that puts emphasis on light?

Many thanks.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    You may find Relativity: The Special and General Theory (http://www.bartleby.com/173/) by Einstein himself to be an enlightening read.

Cheers!

FV89

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4
    Thank you FV89, I will most certainly study the book you suggested! So far I had been able to find small sections on light in Relativity books :

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook