A good chatbot database that can scale

In summary: Computers have become powerful enough to handle natural language processing tasks, but it may still be challenging to create a truly intelligent chatbot. This is because computers search through items one by one, while our brains have a network of neurons that can respond almost instantly. However, with the right algorithms and data selection, a chatbot can still be developed. Examples of existing chatbots, such as Alexa and Siri, show that it is possible to create a functioning chatbot. With the right skills and hardware, anyone can create their own chatbot, but measuring its performance may be a difficult task.
kolleamm
Lately I've been really interested in creating a chatbot that could learn and talk to users.
The only problem though that's preventing me from starting is the time it may take for the program to find the data it needs in memory.

Most chatbots simply find the closest match to your words and then reply with the associated reply.

The problem is however finding that closest match may be difficult especially if there is a lot of data.

From what I understand computers search through items one by one, while a single neuron is connected to tens of thousands of other neurons that respond nearly instantly.

So is an intelligent chatbot even practical with today's hardware?

Technology news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Lately I've been really interested in creating a chatbot that could learn and talk to users.
The only problem though that's preventing me from starting is the time it may take for the program to find the data it needs in memory.

Most chatbots simply find the closest match to your words and then reply with the associated reply.

The problem is however finding that closest match may be difficult especially if there is a lot of data.

From what I understand computers search through items one by one, while a single neuron is connected to tens of thousands of other neurons that respond nearly instantly.

So is an intelligent chatbot even practical with today's hardware?

The OP is in luck as computer platforms capable of natural language processing were developed at SRI speech technology lab and other sites decades ago. Chatbot's are ubiquitous in e-commerce though the well known systems like Alexa & Siri are proprietary. A programmer could buy a chatbox and emulate features within all legal constraints on a generic computer.

Generating natural sounding speech, not to mention "conversations", can be resource intensive often utilizing neural networks and machine learning but your requirements could be met by proper database selection. As you suggest locate closest match and "respond".

FYI two different threads might help. A thread "Computer Programming Languages" mentions several high-level languages apropos to natural language processing but I am not conversant with the packages. A math thread on random string generation and related topics might help depending on what you wish to accomplish.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...gramming-languages.912188/page-4#post-6102627
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/probability-that-a-random-string-is-a-word.961582

Ask about neurons and perception in the Biology Science forum. IMO speech recognition in the human mind has little to do with individual neurons. Searching the topic "neural networks" might help compare human and machine learning. Modern computers usually contain some parallel processing abilities along with "multi-tasking". Only poorly designed code searches "one by one".

On the hobby scale your concern about "finding data in memory" may be unwarranted. Chat by nature is I/O intensive, generating lots of interrupts. Table look ups (TLU) should not require prohibitive cycles compared to the strength of your search algorithms.

Your last question about practical 'bots has already been answered, no? Examples abound. Devising metrics to evaluate NLP performance sounds interesting. Time (cycles) concerns you; consider timing your bot or Alexa or even a speech translator.

Last edited:
Likes kolleamm
My Axexa smart speaker is pretty fast. Ask her a question and the answer comes rapidly. Presumably, Amazon needs to search the whole internet to find the answer. I think there are simple chat apps that converse.

So it is not only possible, but you can buy one for only $30.See also Eliza.

Likes kolleamm and Klystron
kolleamm said:
From what I understand computers search through items one by one
No, google 'binary search tree'.

anorlunda said:
So it is not only possible, but you can buy one for only $30.
Well that only gets you the hardware to interface to the Alexa engine which sits in the cloud and does all the hard work. Anyone can build "skills" which can sit within this platform - see https://developer.amazon.com/alexa-voice-service/design
Edit: this is probably a better start point https://developer.amazon.com/alexa-skills-kit

pbuk said:
Well that only gets you the hardware to interface to the Alexa engine

The "Alexa engine" being a tens or hundreds of billion dollar computer system.

BoB

1. What is a chatbot database?

A chatbot database is a collection of information and data that is used by a chatbot to provide responses and interact with users. It stores data such as user input, conversation history, and pre-programmed responses.

2. What makes a chatbot database "good"?

A good chatbot database is one that is well-structured, easily accessible, and has a large amount of high-quality data. It should also be regularly updated and able to handle a large volume of user interactions without sacrificing performance.

3. How does a chatbot database scale?

A chatbot database can scale by using efficient data storage methods, such as indexing and caching, to handle a large amount of data and user interactions. It can also use machine learning algorithms to continuously improve and expand its knowledge base.

4. What are the benefits of a scalable chatbot database?

A scalable chatbot database allows for a more personalized and efficient user experience, as it can handle a larger number of user interactions and provide more accurate and relevant responses. It also allows for the chatbot to continuously learn and improve, leading to better overall performance.

5. Are there any limitations to a chatbot database that can scale?

While a scalable chatbot database can handle a large volume of data and user interactions, there may still be limitations in terms of the complexity of conversations it can handle. It may also require continuous updates and maintenance to ensure its accuracy and effectiveness.