Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Google employee on a camera-equipped tricycle recording images

1. May 27, 2010 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    They may do that on some small streets in France, but they're not riding up and down every road in America on that thing. Especially not the highways.

4. May 27, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's to do pedestrianized areas (think Europe) and tourist spots (generally don't let people ride a Harley around the Lincoln memorial)

5. May 27, 2010 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gears look ingenious -- they are in the middle of the frame, and there must be a transmission mechanism distributing the torque to the two rear wheels. I haven't seen anything like it.

6. May 27, 2010 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I just wanna know I can get THAT job!

7. May 27, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a regular mountain bike with the rear wheel removed from the spindle, then a single speed chain from the existing back wheel spindle to a sprocket on a fixed axle between the trailer wheels.
    Presumably it's to give more space behind the rider for the camera than a regular trike.
    But I don't know why they wouldn't just use a regular bike trailer.

I built a system once for ground radar that used a standard kiddie trailer stuffed with a couple of batteries and a laptop.

8. May 27, 2010 #7
    The bike runs on gasoline, the peddling powers the camera.

9. May 27, 2010 #8
    Pretty cool. Looks weighty though.

The bike doesn't appear to run on gasoline. I can see a pulley in there I think.
    Would love that job. People would notice you :)

10. May 27, 2010 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing behind the seat tube that is "regular" for a mountain bike. There are no chain-stays coming from the bottom bracket, just a single tube. Same for the seat-stays. And the angle made by would-be-seat-stays suggest a real wheel placement that would be more than a foot too far back.

This might be the geometry of a modified tandem MTB, but I'm pretty sure it is a geometry invented specifically for this purpose.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  11. May 27, 2010 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"I can put you in a Google map" ;-)

12. May 27, 2010 #11
    One time I saw a google car driving through my neighbourhood. It was pretty cool with this contraption on it's roof. When I told my friends about this they told me that I should have just kept walking beside it LOL that way I'd be everywhere on our block.

13. May 27, 2010 #12
    I can't wait till google starts with the live audio recordings from every street view thing. We can just have google cars on patrol of every town in america so we can stream the sounds of birds chirping from joe does house.

14. May 27, 2010 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

I see a suite of SICK laser scanners below the optical cameras. I wonder what Google is doing with that range data. It is not made directly available on StreetView.

15. May 27, 2010 #14
    I'm going to start my own internet company so I can drive around town with cameras on my roof top. It'll be called Boogle and I'll just devote it to beer and women.

16. May 27, 2010 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true hadn't looked clearly.

Some inside info, they didn't work as well as Google hoped.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook