A gravatational homework question

• Thread starter redwhite1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the weight of an object near the surface of the Earth can be approximated by mg, where m is its mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity at sea level. Using this, along with the equation for the force of gravity, a solution can be found for the object's weight at a certain distance above the Earth's surface. In this case, the weight decreases to .99mg at a height around 1000km above the surface.
redwhite1

Homework Statement

If an object is near the surface of the earth, the variation of its weight with distance from the center of the Earth can often be neglected. The accelertaion due to gravity at sea level is 9.81 m/s^2. The radius of the Earth is 6370 km. The weight of an object at sea level is mg, where m is its mass. At what height above the surface of the Earth does the weight of the object decrease to .99mg?

Homework Equations

I used .99mg= (Gm(me)/(6370 + x)^2) ... where G= 6.67 x 10^-11 and me= mass of the earth

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula above and solved for x getting an answer around 1000km, there is no way for me to check my solution... Any hints?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show exactly how you got 'x'? Because x=1000km is a bit odd.

1. What is a gravitational homework question?

A gravitational homework question is a question that involves the principles and equations of gravitational force, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation or the formula for calculating gravitational potential energy.

2. How do I solve a gravitational homework question?

To solve a gravitational homework question, you will need to understand the relevant equations and principles, and apply them to the given information. It may also involve using mathematical calculations and unit conversions.

3. What are some common types of gravitational homework questions?

Some common types of gravitational homework questions include determining the force of gravity between two objects, calculating the gravitational potential energy of a system, and finding the escape velocity from a planet.

4. What units are used in gravitational homework questions?

The units used in gravitational homework questions may vary, but some common units include meters (m) for distance, kilograms (kg) for mass, and Newtons (N) for force. It is important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent in calculations.

5. How can I check if my answer to a gravitational homework question is correct?

You can check your answer to a gravitational homework question by using the correct units, double-checking your calculations, and comparing your answer to the expected answer or solution provided by the teacher or textbook. It is also helpful to do a rough estimate or use common sense to see if your answer seems reasonable.