1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A gravity calculusy kind of quesiton

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    How would i go about writing an equation for the velocity of an object released at a high altitude above the earth which takes into account the sqaure increase in acceleration with displacement (s^2).

I posted it here because i'm aware it's more of a calculus question than physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm, if s is your displacement from the SURFACE, then R+s will be your distance from the centre of Earth, agreed?
    (R being the radius of the Earth)
    The adjective is calculous by the way..

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3
    appreciated.....

p.s. "The adjective is calculous by the way.." - :tongue: i know

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gravitational force is
    [tex]\frac{-GMm}{r^2}[/tex]
    where r is the distance from the center of the earth. If your s is height above the surface of the earth, M is the mass of the earth and R is the radius of the earth, then
    [tex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}= \frac{-GM}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]

That's for something falling straight down, not an orbit, of course.
    The best way to solve that differential equation is to let v= ds/dt, then not that d2s/dt2= dv/dt= (ds/dt)(dv/ds) (chain rule) = vdv/ds
    [tex]v\frac{dv}{ds}= -\frac{GM}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]vdv= -\frac{GMds}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]
    That should be easy to integrate.

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5
    damn it, i had a feeling it was going to be something that simple. Thanks a lot, you've put my mind at rest.

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Which could also be gained with somewhat fewer contortions by multiplying the 2.order diff.ex with ds/dt, and integrate wrt. time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?